Sunday, March 9, 2008

Reading/Listening, Car, Stuff, Poker

Reading: The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo, page 113/197. The story interests me, but it gets to be a little over the top sometimes. Coehlo definitely shows more than he tells. Descriptions are sparse and anemic, which leaves takes something away from it for me. I just finished a section wherein the main character visited an opulent tent. I wanted the description to make me feel the sense of awe that the main character had to have been feeling, but it didn't get me there. This was what I got: "The ground was covered with the most beautiful carpets he had ever walked upon, and from the top of the structure hung lamps of handwrought gold, each with a lighted candle." The story intrigues me though as I'm just getting to know the Alchemist, and I have the feeling that he is going to be an interesting gentleman.

Listening: I can't stop listening to The Train by Big Boi and Khujo Goodie off of the Idlewild soundtrack. First of all, I think I want Big Boi to give the eulogy at my funeral because I love the dude's voice. Secondly, the music makes me feel happy. Not happy necessarily, but I get this warm feeling, the type that you get when you know everything is going to be ok. Thirdly, people like things in threes, but I don't have another point. When I woke up this morning, I had the conscious thought "I want to hear that song right now," and I think my repeat count is on nine so far. Overall, the Idlewild soundtrack wasn't all that stellar, but there were a few jewels on it. This is one of them.

My car is making a bad noise. It sounds like somebody is flying a turbo-prop plane fifty feet above my car. It's going into the shop tomorrow night. I hope nothing major is wrong with it because I really like Monique and do not want her to go to the mechanic and die. For those of you thinking that I've lost it, Monique is the name of my car. You're probably right, though, I have probably lost it. It was fun while I had it. Anyway, car equals sick. I'll update later this week when I get the diagnosis from the car doctor.

A collage of my week, in no particular order: Brandon came up and we went out to eat with my parents; I've apparently been living very cheaply because I have way more money in my bill account than I thought I did, that or I didn't pay a bill; eleven days until I go visit Virginia in Vegas again; I have the next TWO weekends off in a row, I have no idea what to do with myself; one of the girls I work with had a miscarriage this week, she has been in my thoughts a lot; I've had odd dreams about random people from my past in weird situations, breaking their hips and blaming me, etc; my weight is down to around 190, down from 197 a couple of weeks ago, all I've been doing is eating smaller meals but it sucks because I'm hungry all the time.

I played poker for an hour or two today. I read an article about Chris "Jesus" Ferguson and how he turned $0 into $10,000 in a year and a half online and thought "I can do that." He had rules that he followed to help him manage his bankroll which I think I'm going to try and stick to. It took him nine months to get from $0 to $100, and then nine more months to finish it off. I started today at $125, so I'm figuring it will be about eight months before I'm at $10,000. Warning: The previous sentence may contain some falsehoods. Anyway, the rules he had were that he wouldn't join a cash game or SnG with more than 5% of his bankroll, and he had to get up and leave if the money on the table represented 10% or more of his bankroll. He could only enter tourneys with a buy-in of 3% of his bankroll or less. I'll probably avoid that aspect and stick with cash games and SnGs. Today I played some $.05/$.10, $.02/$.05, and a $3 HU. I won the HU and profited $6 through the rest of the play, which actually isn't too bad. I don't have any memorable hands because I play trained-chimp poker at these levels. General tips down in the sewers of poker: people don't fold and they never believe you. So, I limp as many pots as I can and bet the shit out of it if I catch the flop. I also get tough preflop with good hands. I insta-called a $4 raise into a $1.50 pot with AK preflop. The other guy had AK as well. You wouldn't see me doing this crap at a $1/$2 table, but down here I didn't have to think about it. I'll only play once or twice a week, but I'll update as I go. Bankroll at $134.26

No comments: