Sunday, October 19, 2008

Reading/Listening, Update/Visit

Reading: Still Sedaris. I've made minor progress, but the mailman decided that I was reading too much and dropped off both Car and Driver and Popular Science in consecutive days. I've already motored through C&D and I'm exploring Pop Sci right now. See what I did there? Anyway, I'm still pretty certain that I'm going to read An Age of Turbulence when I'm done with Sedaris, but I recently fell off the wagon and blew $60 at Borders. I still very much prefer Barnes and Noble, but Borders is closer and I'm lazy. I had to go to pick up price guides for sports cards as my mom brought me a bunch of my old ones and I need to sort through them, however, while I was there I also picked up a couple of other books. Oil! by Upton Sinclair, a book of Garrison Keilor poems, and a gigantic biography of Albert Einstein that I'm unnaturally excited to read. I have a fascination with Einstein. When I showed Virginia she informed me that he had experimental surgery. She's currently on her Vascular Surgery rotation and while there learned that Einstein had an aneurysm that surgeons wrapped in cellophane. Crazy.

Listening: Everything. We painted this weekend and I put my iPod on shuffle and just listened. There's nothing major to note other than the fact that I really don't even know what I have on my own iPod. Songs would pop up that I'd never heard before, which is sort of sad. I am the ultimate consumer.

So, I've been really busy. Work has been hectic as I've been trying to wrap things up at my current job while also preparing for my new one. I'm going to miss my coworkers and yes, even most of my doddering old customers. A couple of them have sworn that they are going to come out to my new branch to have me help them but it's so far that I doubt I will see most of them again. At home we spent the weekend painting and doing small projects in preparation for Virginia's sister and her husband who will be visiting us this weekend. The next weekend her dad and his partner will be out to visit, so there won't really be any down time for us for a bit. We painted the pink room today so it is now the brown room. In the process we discovered that we should hire things out whenever possible because I am a douche and assume the role of foreman automatically. I am a condescending foreman. There was a confounding factor in my defense. Trivia question: Who has ten toes but only nine toenails? If you answered Bret, you would be correct. The big toenail on my right foot has been messed up since I broke my ankle so it had to go. It wasn't excruciating, but it has felt like somebody has been standing on my toe for a couple of days now which isn't fun. At least it gives me an excuse to take the Vicodin I have left over from my ankle surgery. Hooray! It also gives me an excuse to wear a sandal and a sock on my right foot and a regular shoe on my left in public. Yep, stole that one out of the short bus playbook. Oh well, yet another chapter in my life. That's all for tonight.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Aha!

I am reading your blog again. It is a good blog to read.

Sounds like everything is going well. New job, a lot of reading, painting the pink room brown...yes, these are nice things.

"THE SHORT BUS PLAYBOOK"

It sounds like a short story, or a short film. Perhaps you will write a short story and then hire amateur actors from local high schools to star in a short film?

Do you still write?

That is all. That is all for now.