Saturday, November 22, 2008

Liar Liar

Look at me being a liar already. So it's Saturday and not Wednesday, but here's another post. I'm closing in on the end of the Sedaris book. I'm doing a good job of staying focused and reading at least a little bit every day, but I keep getting interrupted (Car and Driver, Popular Science). The universe is a cruel mistress.

Work is still okay. I'm going to go in for a little bit today even though I don't have to. I'm nearly caught up, which will be nice until I discover something I haven't been doing and am then behind again. So it goes.

On a positive note, my English is improving. My boss is very formal in everything that he does, and has been hounding every aspect of my speech from grammar to word choice. I'm digging up some of the triple word score words that I know and breaking bad habits like saying "No problem" in response to everything as if I were from the Sudan. I like speaking intelligently but I've had no forum to do so since high school debate, so I've fallen into the traps that everybody else falls into on a day to day basis. Okay, that's all for now.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice. It is good to improve the language.

Here is a fun fact: I have been taking bits and pieces of my knowledge of proper English and deposit them in your mailbox. You don't see it, but it is attaches to the mail, and then it gets on your hands, and then you can speak a little better. Not that I am a perfect speaker of the English language, but I am not too worried about it. No problem, man. No problem. You can have my grammar. Take it. Take it!

What is this Sedaris about which you speak?

I just finished reading Hocus Pocus by Kurt Vonnegut. It was a good read. A good read! Have you read it?

I was talking to someone, telling them an idea I had. The idea, so magnificent, I think, is to get all of Vonnegut's books. I will put them on the shelf together, a little bundle of Vonnegut joy! That is my plan.

What is your plan? Do you plan to get good at talking? Do you want to speak good? Well, good. Good, well...yes, it is good that you want to do well. It is well of you to want to do good. Yes.

Well, bye.

Good.

bretlonder said...

I haven't read Hocus Pocus or Timequake yet. I think there's another Vonnegut book that I've missed, but I've read most of them. They look very neat on the shelf together. I've purchased as many of them from the same publisher as I could. They match and it makes me happy.

I read When You Are Engulfed In Flames by David Sedaris. It was pretty good. Now I'm reading The Age of Turbulence by Alan Greenspan.