Monday, February 26, 2007

Interesting Problem

I'm writing a story about a time when I stayed overnight with one of my friends in elementary school, and then the next morning accompanied his family to mass. I was raised loosely Methodist (I say loosely because my parents made me go to Sunday school and all that jazz until around 12, and then said that I could do what I wanted, which was obviously to not go to church), so the whole Catholicism thing was fascinating to me which you will discover in the story. The problem I had today is that I need to pluralize the word Jesus, and I've never done that before. Jesii? Jesuses just sounds wrong. I know that I should probably say something like "...pictures of Jesus..." but I don't want to. Dictionary.com doesn't list a plural for Jesus at all, so I can't tell if Jesus is like a moose or what. I think a phone call to the Vatican would cause an international event seeing as the close-minded Catholics believe in only one God and would fail to see the occasion for the plural of Jesus (Holy Trinity Hypocrites :-P). My Chile Cheese Hamburger Helper is done, so pondering is postponed.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

When would you use the plural of Jesus? Are all the Jesii getting together for coffee later tonight? Are all the Jesuses going to go fishing? Would they mind if I came along?

Jessica said...

The first time I ever set foot in a Catholic church was for the funeral of a friend. I'll admit the Catholic church can be a scary place when you feel like a total outsider. I was nineteen and terrified.