Wednesday, February 28, 2007

It's About Time

I took the day off from my grueling one class schedule because I felt like it. I've had a little gray rain-cloud following me around for two or three days now that I can't seem to shake, and every time I put my umbrella up it zaps me with little lightning bolts. This typically means that it is time for a large change of some sort. I've been feeling very motivated to start working out lately which is abnormal for me. A few days ago my mom called and told me to go join a gym, too. I know her motivation is to get me to meet women but the coincidence was a little too convenient. Pretty much anything my mom does has an underlying theme of finding a "nice girl to spend some time with" for me. Which is sweet and all until you consider that she keeps trying to set me up even when I actually have a girlfriend. I'm pretty sure she wants a grand kid. I keep trying to tell them to get a dog.

I also feel the need to get the hell out of Nebraska for a few days. I'm not 100% sure where I want to go, and I know I can't afford it, but my sanity trumps my cash flow. If my truck didn't get 3 miles to the gallon, I would pack a bag, close my eyes, spin around, and drive in whatever direction I was facing for a couple of days. Writing this I realize that I need an adventure more than a vacation. I suppose I could settle for creating an adventure in a story, but I'd rather take a trip and then write something about it later. It is sort of the same reason that I'm not big on taking photographs, because I'd rather have the memory of the experience than ruin it by replacing my smile with my photo smile and posing.

I promise that even if tomorrow is the worst day in recorded history, including nuclear holocaust and rampant sodomy, I'll write about puppies or some other happy shit.

5 comments:

C.D. said...

You could always go to Scottsbluff. It may still be in Nebraska, but it is in a different time zone.

Jessica said...

I'm not sure if I fear nuclear holocaust or rampant sodomy more. They sound equally scary; although, I feel like I'd have a better chance at hiding from sodomy. Anyway, sometimes it just feels nice to jump in the car and drive to one of the surrounding state parks of Nebraska. It isn't the same as an adventure, but my closest friends and I used to do this. There's something soothing about the drive, the conversation, and the nature.

I feel the urge to get away sometimes. Although, I've been lamenting my bad luck because I recently got really sick. Not like, "flu" sick but "blood work" sick. What adds the most insult to injury is I just lost the "mental health days" I was saving for when nice weather came. I love to take days off when it's 70 degrees and sunny. Who actually wants to use a sick day up by being ill? I also never try and stay home from class when it's rainy or cold out. I get notoriously depressed.

Don't feel obligated to write about butterflies or lemon drops...not that lemon drops are happy. I'm not really even a fan of them. I'm going to replace that with mini snickers. Or Rolos.

Unknown said...

You can, however, take a photo without ruining a memory. Just take the picture of the two kangaroos and the kid trying to feed the male.

Unknown said...

You can find some pretty nice girls in the gym. All around. There, on the elliptical. There, doing crunches on the floor. There, a group of them surrounding me as I show off my muscles.

Wait...I really don't have any muscles to show. Um...I guess I'll have to make due with something else.

"Why?" I ask. Why does your mom try to hook you up with another girl? Does she have something against your current girlfriend?

"Why?" I ask. Why did you choose to say "happy shit." If I'm at a wedding, will I say something like, "Dude, this is some pretty happy shit here." Or if I'm watching Sesame Street with my young nephew, will I say, "Shit man...this is some fucking happy shit."

Anyway, it doesn't matter. Nothing matters. Nothing, except spending your life trying to find happy shit. I like to be happy. It is a fun, good, clean time. I like a fun, good, clean time.

bretlonder said...

I don't currently have a girlfriend, but my mom's reasoning is that she feels that I deserve a supermodel or actress or any woman that is ridiculously rich and ridiculously good-looking.

As far as "happy shit," I wasn't in the greatest of moods yesterday. It happens.