Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Reading/Listening, Long Distance, Poker

Reading: Still Barthelme, page 413/451. I just finished a story called The Emerald today and it was awesome. Overall, the collection has been a bit more experimental than I like. Barthelme's wit is amazing, but there are some stories that have been nothing more than disjointed conversations. While I enjoyed the playful banter, I wanted more from it. The Emerald, however, combined these experimental elements into a bigger, cohesive story that actually had a discernible point. I think my favorite character in the story is the Foot. Read it to find out what I mean.

Listening: I'll Do It All by Busta Rhymes. The song is off of The Big Bang. I'm not sure how this one missed the radio. Maybe it was on there, I never know because I hate the radio. For those of you that don't like rap because you can't hear the words, this one is perfect. Busta has such a neat voice that it's easy to get interested, and for once he's going slow enough that each word is clearly audible. LaToiya Williams also joins him on the track, and she has a great voice. Her voice mixes perfectly with the flute loop that makes up the backbone of the song, as well as with the heavy synthesizer use. A very well put together track. My compliments to the producer of this one, he put in long hours and it shows. I guess he could've put in short hours and is just a genius, who knows. Him, I guess.

So Virginia is in Mammoth Lakes, California for the next month. Mammoth is a ski town. I was wary that her cell phone wouldn't work in the house she's staying in, and I was right. It has really limited our phone time, which sucks, seeing as that is all we really have. I did finally get a microphone that works, and I ordered one that is being sent to her, so I think that we'll be able to use Skype while she's at the house. This will be nice because she's currently relegated to driving around or sitting in the Starbucks, which seems to be overrun with annoying, loud teenagers. Tonight we had a lengthy discussion about her ranking. She's just really torn on what she should make a priority in her decision making process. The quality of the program, the workload, the support structure, and the city all have legitimate arguments for their relative strength of importance. Obviously, if any one of them sucks, the idea sucks, but a lot of them are quite similar. Her sticking point is in trying to break the ties. I think I helped her sort out at least one tonight, but she has a lot of thinking left before the end of the month.

I went 0-2 on some HU matches the other night. The first guy I played was super-aggro and I simply wasn't prepared for it. I should've fought fire with fire, but I folded way too many hands to him and dug a deep hole. It's hard to be way down to somebody who is firing away all the time anyway because they simply aren't afraid to put you in with really weak hands, knowing that it will be hard to call of your chips with middle pair bad kicker. I signed up for another $15 right after that, and played a guy that was the total opposite. However, he benefited from my delayed reaction as I went alpha-male on him and he picked me off for most of my chips with second pair. After that he hammered on me and I had to put it in with a coinflip and came up empty. So it goes. My irregular playing schedule doesn't help my game a lot because it creates a lot of inconsistency. Six months ago, the aggro nut wouldn't have stood a chance, but he ran over me instead because I simply forgot how to play against people like that. Those are the things I'm going to have to deal with and keep a level head about. Oh well, bedtime.

No comments: