Thursday, February 28, 2008

Reading/Listening, Music, No Poker

Reading: And Her Soul Out Of Nothing by Olena Kalytiak Davis. I'm on page 84 of 94. I'll likely finish it tonight, but if not, I'll surely finish it tomorrow. Davis has amazing intensity on each of her line breaks, which is admirable. Her images are solid and concrete and very specific. The only thing that I don't like about her poetry is that she asks a lot of questions. She does it fairly well, but at times it distracts the reader by causing them to try and answer the question asked. For the novice poetry reader, Davis is on the shallow end. While her poetry is very good and she is well respected, it is not as far out there as some poets are.

Listening: The song Latyrx by the group Latyrx off of The Album. Latyrx consists of Lateef the Truth Speaker and Lyrics Born, both members of the Quannum label that I've been obsessed with lately. This particular song is amazing because it was an experiment that went very right. DJ Shadow produced the track, and what he did was create a rhythm that both Lateef and Lyrics Born freestyled to. Then, he put the two freestyles on top of each other. It's awesome. It's incredible to hear how the two, independently created freestyles intertwine in such a seemingly planned way. You have to check it out.

So I've taken on a job as a small-time music manager. One of my best friends from high school is a DJ, and he usually spins with another guy that I have yet to meet, but they don't book shows very often. Actually, they never book shows, which is why when I asked Matt he was totally for it. He told me that they just don't think about that type of thing; they just spin. As I'm making calls, I'm getting excited about it. Music management combines two things; music, which I love, and interacting with people, which I'm good at. If this goes well, I might look into doing this as a profession. That's a ways down the road yet, but you never know.

No comments: