Friday, March 2, 2007

Sunshine and Puppies

Technically I lied because I said that I would write something tomorrow (meaning Thursday) that was more upbeat, but as the time stamp will reveal, it's already Friday. Oh well. Today actually was fairly decent despite much inactivity by this guy. I stayed out late Wednesday night and really didn't want to wake up for a 10:00am meeting on campus but Mother Nature got my back! I discovered that campus was closed at 9:00am and rolled back over for another tasty 2.5 hours of sleep. Sadly, the exact reason I bought a cheap, used laptop was so I could do things like wake up and check my e-mail without having to walk the eight feet to my desktop. Somewhere Jesus is crying. My sister called me at 11:30 and was doing the same thing with her snow day; laying in bed and watching TV (she left her laptop at school). I vented some personal stuff that has been eating at me, and shortly thereafter got confirmation from the universe that nothing is random.

What I talked to my sister about is someone whom I hadn't spoken with for a short while, really needed to talk to, but for reasons that are stupid could not call myself. About an hour and a half later, they called. I'm not big into coincidence. In my story for class most of you will find out at least partially my thoughts on religion, for the rest of you I'll put them here: There HAS to be a higher power of some sort, I'm just not really sure who or what it is yet. I know that today both my friend and myself were thinking of each other. I know I hadn't thought of it for at least a couple days, so why today? My opinion might be different if this were an isolated incident, but we all have experiences like this all of the time. I guess this is the same reason that I like poker. There is an intricate, pre-planned set of events that we have no control over but have to deal with and account for in the best way possible. Much like poker, we all have access to the community cards, and sometimes we look at the other person in the hand and realize that they have the exact same thing we do. That's when we get phone calls from people we haven't talked to in too long.

Oh, and I worked on my story a little bit.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I really like how you compare life to poker. I guess it is true. It sure is.

Hmm...now I really want to know the reasons why you could not call the person. It sounds very interesting. Maybe the other person couldn't call you for some reason, but then decided to anyway. Maybe neither of you thought that you could call the other.

Anyway, I have said nothiing, so I think it is best that I stop writing.

Jessica said...

My mom taught me to play poker when I was in third grade. I guess she gave me an early start on life. She taught me a lot when I was very young, and most parents would disagree with her methods. I'd just say I became a very worldly fourth grader.

C.D. said...

I like having control. Which sucks because I often don't. Damn.

Kate Jenkins said...

Please tell me that your story has to do with the Jesii playing a high stakes game of poker. Please? If I ask nicely...