Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Reading/Listening, Vacation, Not Promotion

Reading: I finally finished Miranda July. I just made the decision to finish her and set to it like a horrible school assignment that I was dreading. The last couple of stories were okay, and I actually enjoyed one or two of them. I think she got tired of trying so hard and gave up. The irony is that her writing improved. I don't have the names of the stories I enjoyed because I lost the book in the move somehow. I'm sure it will show up, but I can't find it for anything right now. I've started reading a book by Lewis Black, Nothing is Sacred. It's not as funny as he is in his stand up, but I've always admired his opinions on everything I've heard him talk about. I'm maybe a third of the way through right now and it's pretty slow. I hope it picks up. I hope my next book choice doesn't leave me hoping that it picks up.

Listening: Deep in the Jungle by Blackalicious. This track is off of the Quannum labels showcase album. It's a really simple beat from Chief Xcel that highlights Gift of Gab's ability to absolutely blaze out words like the Micromachine guy. It's nifty. Check it out.

I went to Lake Tahoe over the weekend for a wedding. It was a nice break. I was really sick of work and just needed to get away. We saw Virginia's parents, went to her best friend's wedding on the beach of Lake Tahoe, kayaked around part of the lake, and spent the rest of the time kicking back. I did so much and right now I just can't spill it all. It's not that I'm hiding anything, it's just the writing isn't flowing right now.

I was denied a third promotion while I was on vacation. This one was expected, but still a nice kick in the scrotum. It was expected because the other ACSM who was next on the list for promotion worked in the branch with the opening. The branch manager only interviewed people because he had to. I interviewed really well, but I'm still on the same island. This is the third time in as many months that I've been shot down for a promotion. What makes it incredibly hard is that I'm already doing the job that I'm getting denied. It makes my head spin sometimes trying to wrap it around this thought. Okay, writing just isn't coming tonight. I'll stop here.

1 comment:

C.D. said...

Guess what Bret...I blogged. Sort of. I guess I cheated a little, but I think it's a good start.