Friday, April 27, 2007

Eagle

We spent my entire Textual Studies class talking about the following Tennyson poem in class today and discussing what the poem meant to us. Al, is it okay if I reprint the poem? And he says nothing because he's dead, so here goes:

THE EAGLE

FRAGMENT

He clasps the crag with crooked hands;
Close to the sun in lonely lands,
Ringed with the azure world, he stands.

The wrinkled sea beneath him crawls;
He watches from his mountain walls,
And like a thunderbolt he falls.

I really don't like this poem. In class I compared it to a bathroom stall limerick; something that you will read, smile at, and then forget when you walk out the door. We were asked how we related to the poem and how we interpreted it. I said that I thought that there were undertones of death in the poem, but that I had no access to it because it seems to be very much about an eagle. I've been thinking about it for almost 2 hours now, and I still think that it is very much about an eagle. The eagle itself can symbolize many, many things for people, but in the end, if you don't care about eagles, you don't care about this poem. I'm interested to hear some of your interpretations, as I'm becoming more convinced that this is just a bad poem. Not necessarily a bad poem, but a simple elementary school type of poem.

2 comments:

Kate Jenkins said...

that's really...well... terrible. The rhyme scheme is idiotic (seriously... AAA...BBB using monosyllabic words that second graders respond to with "you're a poet and ya didn't know it!"...).

Beyond that... the imagery is like a bad motivational poster and yet vague enough at the same time... thunderbolts don't fall. Neither does the sea crawl. (and no, I'm not a poet who doesn't know it.)

I get how I'm supposed to interpret it...and if I get how I'm "supposed" to interpret it, then it's a bad poem for being too blatant (he wasn't a confessional poet for gods sake).

I'm supposed to feel bad for Mr. Sad-lonely-majestic-free-eagle. But really, I hope he gets poached. (even though it's hinted at in the poem which makes me want something more creatively-bad to happen to him, but I'm too tired to figure out what that is).

I like poetry/prose by famous people because then I can tear into it and be as vicious as I want because it's not workshop and I'm not obligated to be positive. That probably makes me a terrible person.

Unknown said...

I want to save the bald eagles.