Friday, April 20, 2007

Much Better

I got a decent night of sleep and feel much better today. No more anger. I think I'm still going to take a nap because I need to get rid of some of my built up sleep debt, but I think it's going to turn out to be a good weekend overall.

I do have some writing to do over the weekend. I have a paper that I need to finish as well as several journal articles that I have to write to get caught up for another class. It is interesting to write the journal articles because it is my own time to comment on what I thought of the story. We have read quite a few fantastic short stories. Good Country People by Flannery O'Connor, Hills Like White Elephants by Ernest Hemingway, and The Lottery by Shirley Jackson are all short stories that everyone should read. I'm assigning my few blog readers homework. Read these stories and then we can discuss them. Or don't, because there is really no consequence for not reading. Except shame.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I read that "Good Country People" story a couple months ago...I thought it was pretty good...but sort of weird. That one woman I didn't like; she was negative. The religious dude was a freak, with his fetish for artificial appendages...but, it was written well...have you read O'Connor's story "The Artificial Nigger?" That one is good too.

I got a lot of sleep too...sleep is good for you. I should try to sleep as much as I can.

Writing papers sucks, and I never want to do it again...I do, however, have to write one that is due in about three and a half weeks...I might start it in about 18 days.

C.D. said...

Were all of those stories for Textual Studies?

Kate Jenkins said...

I've always had really mixed thoughts on Hills like White Elephants, but maybe it's because it's always been "taught" to me...I've never been allowed to explore it because teachers/professors are always too eager to beat in the "it's about abortion! and you didn't pick up on it right away! therefore I am better than you! Can't you see Hemingway's totally scandalous and taboo story about abortion!". Yeah, actually, that might have a lot to do with it.

On a pseudo-related note, have you ever noticed how much Cognard likes to link stories to rape? I spent a good 20 minutes arguing with him in Textual Studies about Allende's "The Judge's Wife" And probably just as much time arguing about a Frost poem (I think it's the one in which the child dies and the couple deal with the grief? can't remember the title).

I really want to read the Shirley Jackson story...Cary Holladay talked about it when she was here.

And I should probably read the O'Connor just so people can't say that I'm an ignorant, illiterate slob.