Sunday, April 20, 2008

Reading/Listening, Dog-Sitting, Stuff

Reading: The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger. I somehow made it through high school without having to read this book, and it's a shame. I initially picked it up to avoid having to tackle the monster poem that stumped me with Stevens, and I've really gotten into it. I don't have it with me at the moment, but I think that I'm around page 130, so I'm well over half done. I can't wait to finish it because even though the tension hasn't build much, I know that something big is going to happen in the next fifty pages. I can't wait. Salinger has absolutely perfected the tone of voice of his main character, and I'm incredibly jealous of the man. The funny thing is that I went to Borders to buy another book of his and came home with a George Saunders book (I forget the name and am too lazy to go to my bookshelf which is a whopping twenty feet away) and Silas Marner by George Eliot. Oh well, such is my fickleness.

Listening: Across the Sea by Weezer. The song is off the Pinkerton album, which most people don't like as much as the rest of Weezer's work. However, both the CD and this particular song never cease to surprise me. The premise of the song is hilarious and sweet all at once. Allegedly, an 18 year old Japanese girl wrote what I imagine is a typical fangirl letter. "Dear Rivers, I love you and want to know what your favorite food is and your favorite book and any hobbies you have and your hopes and dreams and etc, etc, etc." Rivers, instead of writing a letter back, wrote a song. However, I think the song itself is very romantic despite claiming otherwise ("I could never touch you/I think it would be wrong"), and specifically, it speaks to my current situation wherein I long for the touch of my loved one but she's way across the sea (the sea of states). Give this one a listen.

I watched my sister's dogs for a few days because she went to Las Vegas for her birthday. I had to sleep at her house because "the dogs have never spent a night alone since I've had them." Yeah, it's incredibly sad. Anyway, there were a few major downers, the biggest one being that the dogs are used to waking up every morning between 6:30-7:00am. I am not. Especially on weekends that I don't have to work. What WAS cool about it was getting a taste of what real life is like. I mean real life such as owning a house, having my own dog, weekends off; just generally acting like a domesticated adult male. I'm looking forward to it now.

I meant to blog more, and a lot has been running through my head lately, but the motivation just fell off about halfway through the previous paragraph. Sorry if it feels as half-assed as it was.

No comments: