Sunday, August 10, 2008

Cars, Virginia, Poker

I've been thinking about what car I want to get after Monique passes on. For some reason, I'm really digging badass looking cars. Cars with presence. The two cars that I've already got my eye on are the Mercury Marauder and the Infiniti M45. In addition to the blunt styling of both cars, I also like that they have bigass V-8s under the hood. I'm still two years away from a new car as Monique and I don't even have a year under our belt, but as is typical of me, I've already got my eyes open.

Virginia has been working disgusting hours on her pediatrics rotation this month. I think she logged about 98 hours this week (I wish I were exaggerating), and I'm pretty sure she was close to that last week as well. She goes get all of next weekend off, meaning she doesn't have to set foot inside the hospital at all. I imagine she will get drunk. I know I would. She was talking with one of her attendings and he told her that he remembered his pediatric surgery rotation very vividly. Driving to work one morning at some ungodly early hour, he had the thought that if he just wrecked his car he wouldn't have to go in that day. Virginia was like "I've had that thought twice now." They didn't laugh because it wasn't a joke. I didn't laugh when I heard the story because I've had that thought going to work before. I think nearly every job I've had since age eighteen, there's been one day where I thought that if I just jerked the wheel a little, I'd get a day off. So sad.

Poker has been going fairly even keel. On the one hand, I've been murdering Bugsy's Club. My bankroll there is at a nice fatty $461.29. I had a second place in a $2 MTT for $30. It was the same story as the first place I had a couple weeks ago. When we got to the final table I was about average. I was the chipleader with 13 left but I dropped a huge pot trying to bust a guy and was back to average when we hit 10. As blinds went up, so did the use of my raise button. I kept taking down the blinds which were big pots for our chip stacks and got myself back on top. I then busted a guy with Q4hh vs his A3 offsuit AIPF. He was pretty pissed, but I had open-raised from middle position and his all-in laid me 3:1 on what I figured was a 60/40 call, which turned out to be correct. I ran it from there and entered HU with a 10:1 chip lead which I promptly coughed up. I'm not that mad about it because in HU the other guy got killed by the deck. He had, in order, AT, AK, TT, 99, QQ, and AJ. I doubled him up on the first 3, pitched the next 3, and he was in the lead. The 7th hand brought my KQ vs his A8dd and I blanked it on out to give him the $45 first place prize money. Go him. Another big chunk o' cash found its way to my account when I decided to sit at a $.10/$.25 full ring NLHE table. I sat on the lists for a $15 and $20 HU match for about an hour and decided to just take $15 to the ring game and call it good. In 30 minutes I had racked up over $54 in profit so I called it quits. I kept getting paid off on good hands. The only lucky one was my AK vs T6 vs ?? on an AT6 flop. The dude who I don't know what he had had gone AIPF for like $4 more than my $3 raise, so I called as did the dude with T6. I led out at the flop for the pot which was around $21 and set the other guy all in. He called and the next two cards were 5's giving me aces up to beat his tens up. While things at Bugsy's are going so well, things at FTP are just crushing my soul. I had run my $5 freeroll winnings all the way to something like $18.30 before I went on a sickening losing streak. I started playing one guy who was just god awful, which is of course why I ended up something like -5 matches against him. In every match, I would be on the crush to start, driving him down to 900ish chips, then he would get in bad, hit, putting me on the short stack, and then get in bad and hit again. One particular match summed it up. I had about 2k in chips, leaving him with 1k. I was then dealt 44. The flop was AJ4. I bet, he shoved in, I called. He had J8. The turn was a J, the river an A. Go him. The next hand, I'm dealt KQ. Flop KQ6. I bet he calls. Turn 9. He checks, I bet, he calls again. River T. He checks and I check. He shows J2o and wins. Next hand, I'm down to about 500. I get AA. I raise, he calls. Flop A46 rainbow. I shove in. He calls with KQ. Turn J, river T. Much berating. I goad him into playing me again. I finally outlast his luck and peel off 3 in a row, so of course he quits. I hovered around $4 forever, losing one and winning one before I finally put a couple together to claw back up to $7. I then took my $7 to the $.02/$.05 table and ran it up to its current $11.05. I'm not sure how I'm going to proceed. I like the fact that the $2 HU matches are so small and give me a cushion against failure, but the garbage players and the big luck factor with the 1500 starting stack pushes me towards the ring games. I guess I'll play what I feel like. I might end up sending some of my Bugsy's cash over to FTP anyway since I can't get any of the decent sized HU matches going. Off to bed.

No comments: