Sunday, August 24, 2008

Update


So we're in. We're not unpacked, but we've got all of our stuff in our new house. I think there's a coffee table and a lamp left at the old place, and a hefty amount of cleaning, but it's all tolerable after moving. We fought a couch that we were putting in our basement for over an hour today. The couch won with a final score of two holes in the wall but it came down to the wire because we shredded the top of it. That'll teach the bastard. Virginia and I have already decided that it will be coming out in two pieces courtesy of a saw whenever we decide to replace it.

The holes in the wall didn't phase me as my honey-do list is pretty extensive. The people who owned our house before us half-assed every single thing inside of it, so now I get to redo it. Some examples:

Our main bath is a claw foot tub that they installed a hand held shower head in. They also installed one of those nifty shower curtain rods that attaches to the ceiling and allows you to cover all around the tub. One side is anchored into the wall, the other into the ceiling. Except they only put one of the two screws into the stud, so the other one has pulled out of the drywall. I get to fix it.

The garage door safety sensors are aligned using a block of wood. This was obviously a better idea than just installing them correctly.

Rather than get a three inch piece of wood to mount the door catch onto for the porch door, they had a two inch piece of wood that they just screwed the top of the catch into. Except it doesn't align with the door lock.

I could go on for days about this but there's no point. It will be good for me to learn all of these man things that I've never known how to do. I've decided that I'm just going to write down between one and three things every week and just knock them out slowly. If I try to do it all at once, I won't be able to afford to do everything right and I'll just be furious all of the time.

One thing that will relieve my stress is Dot. Yep, I bought a dog. That's the little pooper at the top of the post. I've had her for roughly a month now, but I've been keeping her a secret. Today we went and picked her up and I drove straight to my sister's to get it over with. She actually wasn't mad at all. I thought she would be. I consulted her before I bought the dog and she told me it was a bad idea. I agreed with her. Then I went and bought her anyway. We have a ton of pictures of her already, but I don't have a Flikr account yet to post them all. In the meantime, you'll have to settle for the one above. She's a Boston Terrier, but she's all white with one black spot on her. Typically Bostons are mostly black with a white belly and some marbling, but the white ones are rare. Like redheads. You'll definitely hear about her more, but in the meantime, enjoy the photo.

No comments: