Saturday, September 8, 2007

Bars, Huskers, Poker

I went out to the Omaha bars for the first time last night. Jeff and I met D'vo and one of his law school friends at a place called Mister Toad's last night. We had a few drinks there with a guy from California who was a big USC fan, so we talked football. I wanted to hug him because he said that he thought USC was overrated this year. I've been campaigning that since I heard ESPN call them the best college football team ever and nobody believes me. I also blew it. There were two very cute girls who came in and sat down at a table right next to us. They each had one drink, looked around, finished the drink, sat and waited, then got up and left. I didn't even give myself a chance to get shot down (the preceding was an attempt at humor, not a signal of low self-esteem). We left shortly thereafter and headed to a place called The Dubliner. It is what a bar should be. Delicious Irish beers on tap, live Irish drinking music, located in a dingy, cramped basement. It was a blast. We got hit on by a lady that was in her late 50s, early 60s. She was there with her niece. She was more fun than her niece. Her niece told me that the aunt had gotten kicked out of Sandy's in Lincoln a week ago for being too drunk. This is a sad tale, but it makes me smile anyway. D'vo got retarded drunk and was entertaining to watch. He was like a toddler just learning to walk, stumbling around until he saw something interesting, and then his eyes would light up and he would get a big smile on his face. He sang along to most of the songs even though he didn't know the words. When it was time to close out his tab, I watched him fill out his credit card slip. I think he tipped the waitress Q, bringing his total to R7. His signature resembled a W with a line through the middle.

The Huskers played like garbage but still won. I went to a sports bar right by my apartment to watch the game. To any out-of-staters who read this, I can't accurately describe what it is like to be in a bar on a Husker Saturday. The closest I can come is having a bar to you and 50 of your best friends. We were up high-fiving for every good play and cussing at the TV for every bad one. It was a lot of fun. I hope we beat USC next weekend.

I actually played poker today and it felt good. I played a quick $2 SnG this morning just to shake the rust off. I played pretty well but lost my Internet connection for awhile, and when I got it back, I had no chips to work with. I biffed on my freeroll by logging in nearly an hour late. I thought it started at 3pm. It started at 2pm. I had five total buy-ins. I blinded through an entire buy-in, and was nearly through the second one when I logged on. I used one rebuy and was dealt 66 UTG. I raised and got reraised by the chipleader with one other caller. I figured I was beat, but in a rebuy I'm going to see this flop, so I moved in for the remaining 300 or so that I had left. I was up against AA and TT and lost. I used my last two rebuys and ran pretty well for a bit. I was up to nearly 9k (from my 4k of rebuys) when I got burnt by a river gutshot. That shot me down to 3k, and I dwindled down to 1.5k when I doubled with 99 vs ??. I don't know what the guy had because I left the room to check a football score. I was very concerned. I hovered around 3k but then had two pots where I raised and got reraised and had to fold. I did steal several times and win a few smaller pots to get back up to nearly 4k when I busted. A guy in EP raised pot and I pushed over top with 99 figuring I was flipping for it. He called and showed 55, making me happy, until the disgusting 5 peeled off on the flop. Good game. I did beat up an r-tard named CUBUFFS in a $30 HU, which was doubly pleasureful for me. I made a hero call with A9 high on a final board of K97Kx with a flush on it. He showed QT. Overall I played pretty well but things just didn't go my way, but it wasn't too bad of a day to ease myself back into poker. I won't play tomorrow because I will be in Lincoln most of the day, but I imagine I will play a few games Monday. The bankroll is at $756.17.

No comments: