Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Reading/Listening, Job, State Fair, Blog, Poker

Book I'm reading: Still on Infidelities by Novakovich.
Song I'm listening to: B-Boy Stance (Cut & Paste Remix) by the Freestylers off of the Urbal Beats 2 compilation. It's ridiculously catchy, and I've gone back to it for like three or four days now.

I'm still jobless. If anybody knows someone in Omaha that could help me out, please give me a call.

I went to the State Fair with my family on Sunday. It was fairly brutal. For starters, I was ridiculously hung over. My friend Caleb who lives in Wichita was in Lincoln for the Husker game, along with his wife and a few of our other friends. Caleb and I put on a Herculean drinking show from 11am until 1am. I don't know all of the details because things get fuzzy around 10ish. I think I may have told an old acquaintance that his wife needed to stop being a bitch to me (in those words), I saw a girl that I know (I don't know who or where I know her from, but I remembered seeing a girl I knew and that was shocking to me), and I somehow kept getting beers at bars despite not paying for any after the first bar. You can imagine my pain as I trudged through the masses in the heat the next day with my family. It actually wasn't so bad, although something about the fair inspires violence in me. Walking down the midway, I just want to elbow small children in the head and kick their parents in the kneecap. I don't know why. I speculate that my anger comes from the fact that you have ten thousand people that are totally unaware of the existence of others crammed in the same space. Baby strollers become bumper cars, except the bumper is my calf muscle. Your child won't remember the fair anyway, and lets face it, you don't want to drag them around all day either. Hello grandma, we were wondering... This idiocy gets coupled with a sense of awe. For some reason. My family goes to the State Fair every year. For some reason. It hasn't changed since 1994. There are no new rides. There are new names on old rides, but no actual new ones. There are no new booths. They are no new exhibits. The musicians change, but we never listen to them anyway. Despite sweating Budweiser and fighting the urge to commit assault and battery, I sort of had fun. Each member of my family enjoys people watching, and more importantly, making fun of people. Yeah, we're a-holes, but I challenge anybody to go to the Nebraska State Fair and be able to hold their tongue for three hours. It is one of those rare times where my family isn't talking about my sister needing to go on a date, me needing to get a job, or my parents needing to sell their business and actually retire. We just hang out and have fun. We don't do that often enough.

My blogging has been shoddy at best. My apologies. It will get better.

I haven't played poker since my last post about it. I don't know why. It sort of feels good to get away from it, but I need to play at least a little bit this week to prepare for the 15k Loyalty Freeroll on the 8th. I won't be happy unless they chunk that delicious $3900 into my account. It will be tough with over 650 people in it and only 40 paid spots, but there are only about 250 people that have more rebuys than I do, and honestly I have enough to be a serious contender. Too early to think about it too much, so I'll wrap it up.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

a trip to the fair should make any person that is down in the dumps feel great about what they have going on in their lives. you go and eat fried food, revel in the fact you don't have children yet and bask in the glory that your dental hygenist has created a mouth full of teeth. i'm sure i am steeling part of this from jeff foxworthy, but it holds true across all social classes.

Kate Jenkins said...

Have you applied at PayPal yet?

bretlonder said...

Twice now.

Kate Jenkins said...

ouch.