Friday, September 28, 2007

Quit, Writing, Poker

Today was my last day at Westside. I'm actually going to miss it. It was a fun job that was the opposite of hard. My work stories will most definitely be more boring now.

Speaking of stories, I was really inspired to write when I got home today, so I sat down and started cranking out pages. I think I put three or four in my comedy journal, and then put about six pages of an essay about my hall monitor days together. I finally stopped because I ran into a problem. In case you haven't read the blog posts from the past two weeks, I've really grown to like Charlie, one of the special needs kids at Westside. However, in trying to record some of his antics, I feel like I'm just making fun of the retarded kid and it really, really bothers me. What I'm trying to convey is the jealousy I have toward Charlie. I'm very glad that I developed normally, but along with that comes a lot of bullshit that we don't need. Charlie doesn't care what others think at all, he just does what makes him happy. One of those things is pretending his hand is a walkie talkie. If I felt the same way, I would never talk into my hand because I'd be afraid that somebody would find out. I try to squash that fear in my head, but it was drilled in there for about twenty-three years. I'm either going to post a link to a rough draft when I finish it, or more likely I'll just e-mail it to some of you to workshop it for me (if you're willing, you'll get it sent to you regardless, but you aren't required to send back comments). Hopefully I can work this problem out because I have a lot of good stuff to mold into a story.

No poker since the last post, and I'm honestly not missing it right now. I'm guessing it will be Sunday before I play again, but there's always a chance that I'll play a bit tomorrow. No good poker stories either.

1 comment:

C.D. said...

I like your picture of the week.