Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Reading/Listening, Beard Experiment Day 1, Old People, Exercise, Poker

Reading: Still Barthelme, but I did do some good work and got myself into the early 200s on my flights. I also started reading some Berryman poems, which I will include next week as they are on the back burner. I simply took them along because it is easier to quickly read a poem than several pages.

Listening: Honestly, I didn't hardly listen to any music over the past five days. Jack Johnson is playing in my car now and the iTunes is on shuffle, but I haven't obsessed over a song like usual. This has been an unusual week, and I will make sure to obsess again this week.

I put my hair up for this contest at work. If one of the tellers earns $350 fake dollars doing certain things, then they get to shave my head. When I conceptualized the contest, I put it just beyond what I thought was possible. Basically, I was 95% certain that I wasn't going to have to go Mr. Clean. Then they changed the rules for the various things that my tellers can refer people to. Now my hair is likely boned. In discussing the best bald strategy with Virginia (not Bic bald, just shaver no guard), we decided that it might be a good idea to try and grow a beard. This was also aided by the fact that I had a terroristic amount of shave gel in my carry on luggage, and it was thus confiscated, leaving me scruffy be the end of the weekend. So today I only shaved my neck and the tops of my cheeks (face, not butt). Typically I'm anti-beard because it's really itchy, but the well kept neck was admirably tolerable today. I'll keep everybody updated as this goes along. I might try and get a pictorial update from time to time, but I'm pretty lazy about the blog lately, so I wouldn't count on it. You can hope though. Also, I've already received a snide old person comment. "You need a little of this for a new razor?[reference to money just given in bank transaction]. I guess that's the style these days, isn't it?"

That reminds me, I have learned several things about what old people do on a day to day basis working at the bank. Here is what I have determined is the average old person day thus far: Wake up at 5am, watch the news and weather channels, go grocery shopping, stop by the bank, ask for new quarters or dollar coins, bitch about lack of said coin, bitch about something unrelated, ask question that I would have no reason to know (eg. "When is my daughter going to cash her birthday check, can you tell me?"), bitch that I don't know the answer, go back to the grocery store, go to the doctor, go to the pharmacy, come back to the bank and ask if you forgot anything there, go to the grocery store, come back to the bank to tell me that milk is $.05 cheaper than it was yesterday, eat dinner, do an unpleasant favor for a relative, go to bed at 7pm.

I ran for 17 minutes today. I had to stop because I thought my shins and calves were going to burst into flames. It almost feels like I have shin splints, which would be ironic because I don't do anything physical. I'm going to run again tomorrow. I'm predicting ten minutes before the lactic acid overcomes my will power.

I played two HU matches today, going 1-1. In the first, I got him to call all-in with AK vs my K7 on a 247K board. I thought I played it pretty well. I raised preflop and got reraised. I called and we took the flop, where he checked and I bet. He called and we took the K on the turn. I thought he might have a hand like AK or KQ because of the reraise, so I checked behind and we took a 6 on the river. He bet pot, I min raised, he moved in and I insta-called. The second match started promisingly as I hammered the guy down to 7k in 3 hands. Then a sick one came up where I had 86 and flopped bottom 2. The flop was 86K, he bet, I raised pot, which was half of his chips because of preflop raises. He didn't hesitate calling and we took a 7 on the turn. He moved in and I called pretty quickly, expecting to see a decent K like KT or KJ. Instead I saw the disgusting T9 for the gutterballllllll. Weak sauce. I kept getting close to 10k again, but never recovered and finally got all in with K4dd vs his A3o when I only had like 2.5k chips left and blinds at 250/500, 50. I bricked and he scooped the freeroll. If he doesn't hit that 7, I win, but he did so I didn't. I'll likely play a bit tomorrow when I can't walk after jogging.

No comments: