Sunday, May 13, 2007

Nothing Really

I haven't posted in several days, and felt the need to. Nothing much has been happening. I haven't gotten as much done on school stuff as I wanted to, but over the years I've learned to make schedules with slack time built in because I know myself too well, so I'm still in decent shape. On Wednesday I'll probably be pretty screwed.

Friday night I went to a going away party for my friend in Fremont. He's moving to Wichita to take a new job. It was fun, and I hope for the best for him. I'm really glad he took this position, because Wichita is not that far away. Some of his other potential promotions were in west Texas or far eastern Iowa, and a few other distant locations, so this works out best for me. People should plan their futures around what works best for me, because that way my life is less stressful.

I asked for truck repairs for graduation, and my parents are thinking that they might just trade my truck in and get something different. I have a few cars in mind that I like, but as with everything in life, they don't like what I like. I always sound incredibly ungrateful explaining things like this, because having my parents buy me a car is a wonderful luxury that most people my age don't have, however, it sucks not having much say in fairly significant life decisions (I feel that large purchases are major life decisions, I'm probably wrong). What sucks is that the few cars that I like are actually well thought out, responsible choices. I'm not asking them to buy me a brand new Mercedes or anything of that nature, but I think a practical all-around car for me is a 4 door, all-wheel drive, post-2000, mid-mileage car. It's something that will last me a while and will be versatile (people carrying, all-year mobility). My parents instantly assumed that I just wanted something sporty and flashy on the basis that I'm immature. While that is a very good assumption based on my personal history, I'm actually starting to grow up. I don't get the chance to show them very often, so it's not really their fault for not knowing, but it is frustrating nonetheless. They'll probably show up with a car one day soon and take the keys to my truck as is the norm. I think psychologists call this Family Dynamic. Dynamic implies change.

Well, now to start cracking on scholastic stuff. I probably won't post again until Wednesday or Thursday.

5 comments:

Kate Jenkins said...

My parents aren't buying me a car for graduation, but they're helping me out with a down payment and they're going to co-sign my loan (something about credit cards and the death of my credit rating).

I'm kind of enjoying emailing my father slightly impractical suggestions (that I still really want, but recognize isn't appropriate for life right now). Like the used mini I found at Husker Auto Group. It's a really "me" car...and I really want it... but it's not practical...and I still really want it.

Anyways, I'm probably headed the way of a Camry or a Corolla (although I did send my dad a link to an '01 Spyder pointing that it, too, was a Toyota and had low mileage). What're your parents thinking?

bretlonder said...

My parents are thinking like 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix. They really don't understand "foreign" cars. My top choice is a 2002 Audi A4 with a V6 engine. 4 doors, all-wheel drive, reliable, 86,348 times more economical than my truck. *Warning, prickish-sounding part* My dilemma is that my truck, in current condition, would probably garner about 5-6k trade in. Fixed up, it would get 8-9k. I'm looking in the 15k price range so that I could actually get it for around 13k, but apparently this is "ridiculous." I don't want to "downgrade" and get an older car with higher miles, and I'm willing to pick out another car, but I'd rather they just give me parameters and let me find something rather than just buying a car and giving it to me like they're going to. I understand that since I'm not financially independent yet, I'm not in the driver's seat, but I'd at least like to be allowed to chime in from the back seat. Good metaphor, high five!

Kate Jenkins said...

I get where you're coming from. I'm looking in the slightly-lower 13ish range. I don't think it sounds prickish. Not anymore prickish than me wanting my mini because I want it, despite the fact that a toyota would cost less and get better mileage.

Maybe if you yell loud enough from the trunk, they'll think you're commenting from the backseat and maybe listen to you.

bretlonder said...

I'll probably just take whatever they buy, drive it for a year, and then trade it in toward something else that I buy myself. I'm not really going to lose sleep over it.

Unknown said...

Good post, good post.

I don't think I have anything worth mentioning, so I apologize for not sharing some kind of great insight. My brain is running dry. I need to re-hydrate it somehow.