Saturday, June 30, 2007

Piano Bar, Tired, Stranger Than Fiction

Last night in Omaha we went to a place called the Piano Bar. It has 2 pianos facing each other on a tiny little stage, and these 2 guys play actual songs and then some joke songs for birthdays and bachelorette parties and such. It was a lot of fun. I was one of the few people who wasn't fall-down drunk by the end of the night. Unfortunately, my friend Mike WAS fall-down drunk, and he got the idea in his head that it was fun to sneak up on me and slap me in the face. He slapped me in the face like 5 times. This situation presents a unique dilemma. Mike is a short guy, like 5'3"ish. He's also pretty strong. Even if I thought I could physically subdue him, everybody would yell at me for picking on the little guy. Because of this, I was forced to retaliate in sneaky ways that I am not yet prepared to share in case he checks this.

I got around 6 hours of sleep last night, but for some reason I was exhausted all day at work. I got told by coworkers about 4 times that I looked dead tired. I had intended to come home, blog, do some laundry, and get to bed at a decent time. What I did instead was nap from 9-11:30, and now I'm probably screwed for sleep tonight.

Yesterday I started reading Stranger than Fiction by Chuck Palahniuk. It is a collection of essays and short non-fiction pieces that he wrote while researching his novels. I'm only around 30 pages in, but it has some promise. I've already found a couple of punctuation and spelling errors, which always baffles me. I realize that professional editors probably don't have time to read each book word by word, but they should. Or at least the author should. It embarrasses me to see mistakes in a novel when a few extra hours of work could've solved the problem. I'll report on it later.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I would have slapped him back. You have self-control.

Damn co-workers always make the comments that enrage me.

I still haven't finished the book I started the first week of May. I am such a slacker.