Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Update, Poker

I really haven't done a whole lot over the past few days. I decided that I'm going to a concert in San Bernadino on August 11th. Rage Against the Machine is touring together again, and I simply have to see them in concert because they are one of my favorite groups of all time. They are playing with Wu-Tang Clan, The Roots, Cypress Hill, and a lot of other rap groups that I can't remember. It should be awesome.

My quest for heads-up greatness is going pretty well. I'm now hovering between $90-$100 from a starting roll of $10. I played $1 heads-up matches until I got to around $30, then I hit $3 games. At $60 I stepped up to $5 matches, which is where I will play until my roll hits $110ish. From there it will be $10 until $250, $20 until $650, $30 until $1100, and then $50 matches for awhile. I'm going to try and stick to a 20 buy-in schedule before I bump limits, but realistically I'll get drunk or greedy one night and blow it all.

I've been playing really well, but I ran terrible yesterday compounded by my own stupidity. I had 3 made flushes yesterday on the turn, got all the money in against a flopped or turned set, and got boated on the river. Then, I got AA cracked in consecutive attempts by T8o and T6o. I put in bad against the T6 when he turned the T to make 2 pair, but I got the T8 to push in bad and he hit the T on the river for 2 pair. Oh well.

I then gave a dude $10 like a retard. A guy posing as another person that I'm familiar with online asked me to loan him $10. If I had used my brain at any point, I would've realized that I was getting swindled, but I only figured it out later. I guess the price of being an idiot is $10.

Today I'm starting out bad as well. I signed up for a match and then our Internet crashed so somebody got a free $5. Now I'm on a 3 match losing streak. I'm guessing it has something to do with all of the booze I drank last night and my less-than-sharp mental status, but sadly, even at around 70% of my potential I'm still better than most people playing this level. Results tomorrow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't some poker great say that if you are going to drink while playing, then you are playing for entertainment. Choices made are purposeful; whether conscious or unconscious. The drinking, could this be a little bit of that self destructive behavior coming out. You already know the holes in your game, now find the things that put the holes there. I know that the bad beats at the boats aren't your fault, but was there nights of unclarity that prefaced those big losses. Just a thought. Maybe it's just an instance of you getting in the way of your ability. See you soon kid.

bretlonder said...

Words of wisdom from an unknown source. Brandon?

And I wasn't actually drinking, I was just incredibly hung over. Stupid Shark Water.

Anonymous said...

that didn't take long for you to figure out who it was. I wasn't really trying to hide it though. I couldn't help but laught at "Brandon?"