Monday, October 1, 2007

Reading/Listening, Work, Books, The Feeding, Poker

Reading: Card Sharks by Liz Maverick. I was lured in by poker, but I think I landed squarely in the realm of Chick Lit. Oh yes, my obsession with poker doesn't stop at merely playing, I love reading about it too. Some very good reads are The Man With $100,000 Breasts, Poker Nation, and Amarillo Slim in a World Full of Fat People. They're all books that tell of the crazy exploits that surround professional gamblers. I'm not quite a third of the way into Card Sharks yet, and the plot is just starting to pick up, so hopefully it pans out in a way that I won't despise. Here's hoping.

Listening: Gasoline Dreams by Outkast on the Stankonia album. It woke me up this morning as I crawled through rush hour traffic to work and I kept going back to it on the way home and while I was running errands. It has angry lyrics and a catchy beat that work for me. I'm sort of tired right now and not quite as eloquent as usual, so just listen to it, even if you don't like rap and hip-hopanonamus.

My first day of work went well. I didn't do much. Our branch is very slow. There are only nine employees right now, and there will only be ten once we replace somebody that was just "let go." I got fingerprinted because it's required by law, but the fingerprint place used paraffin wax instead of ink. The paraffin wax smelled like apple cinnamon bread, so I snuck sniffs of my delicious smelling fingers all day hoping not to look like a spook. I got caught once and had to say the ever classic "smell my fingers" line at work. Mary agreed that they smelled like apple cinnamon bread. She still looked at me funny. I didn't do a lot of other things. I watched a lot of transactions. I used the change counter. I got to see the guts of an ATM and how little money $10,000 actually looks like. I also watched the video about what to do in a robbery. I was amazed at how stoic the people were when shotguns were put in their faces. I think one lady was smiling. I didn't see one person shit their pants, which is my personal plan for dealing with a robbery. Poop and urine in copious amounts.

I finished two books this week. I polished off the Carlin book and I also started and finished The Stranger by Albert Camus. I will discuss them tomorrow because I'm growing ridiculously tired as I type this post.

Jeff bought a Venus Fly Trap at Wal-Mart two days ago. We spent yesterday poking the little mouths with toothpicks and being awed when they shut. Tonight I went outside and caught a roly-poly and dropped it into one of the mouths. The roly-poly was in a ball when it hit, then it unrolled and made a run for it. It didn't make it as the mouth snapped shut as it approached the eyelash lookin' thingies. It was a pretty exciting. The Fly Trap still reminds me of Seymour from Little Shop of Horrors, and the first time I catch it at my doorway in the middle of the night saying "Feed me" it's getting a healthy dose of Clorox.

No poker today. I'm probably going to take another multi-week break. The exceptions might be some $10 or under MTTs to get me ready for the end of the month when I will play in the Bugsy's series or whatever the hell they're calling it. Ok, I'm officially spent. Sleepy time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At the bank I worked at, they told us that if we were to ever be taken hostage, to fall limp and act like we passed out. Kind of dumb since it would probably just get you shot.