Monday, October 22, 2007

Entropy, No Poker

My Internet connection will be spotty at best for the next day or two as I'm trying to install my new wireless card. I say trying because it theoretically should be working now. I followed all of the instructions to the "T". Install the software. Install the card. Restart computer. Use setup wizard. Except the setup wizard won't run. And the computer doesn't recognize the driver. I used to be good at these things. I built this computer from scratch with my own bare hands. I used to write programs for computers. Now I touch an electronic device and it turns to shit. And like a typical old fogey I will contend that it's not my fault. Advances have been made to make it easier for Average Joe to do this stuff. The problem is that the advances in easiness have made it harder on me for some reason. I'm anti-DIY for computer fixes for the average person. I consider myself borderline, and anybody who knows less than me has no reason to pop the case off of their computer. As a society we consider it bad if we don't know the answer. We will fake it. We will lie. We will do anything to avoid admitting "I don't know." The problem is that admitting you don't know something leads to actual learning. I do a lot of things that I shouldn't. I will eventually finish rebuilding my motorcycle even though I know nothing about engines. I will eventually fix this wireless adapter even though I'm totally lost at the moment. I'll have kids even though I can't always take care of myself all of the time. And I'll accomplish these things because I'm not afraid to ask questions from people who know more than I do. In the meantime, I'd appreciate it if people wouldn't try to cater to my ignorance by adding features to disguise how much I don't know. Let me fuck up because I'm willing to. Let others avoid trying because they're afraid of fucking up.

No comments: