Sunday, October 14, 2007

Monique, Beaver Crossing, Huskers, No Poker

My parents did awesome. My new car, Monique, is a 2002 Oldsmobile Aurora. It's a pearl color and it's way too nice for me. I'm getting her a garage when I get paid to shelter her from all the nasty things outside. She has many wonderful toys for me to play with like memory seats with butt heaters and buttons galore. She also has a sunroof which I have done without since around 2002ish, so I will be running sunroof open and heater on until the first snowflake hits the ground. I think that my problem with my truck was that I didn't name her. My cars have been Bertha (1982 Chevy Malibu Classic), Berly (1984 Chevy Camaro Berlinetta), Vanessa (1994 Ford Ranger), and Veronica (2000 Mercury Cougar). In case you haven't noticed, I'm of the opinion that a man's car should have a female name (I'm not sure if there has ever been a woman named Berly, but deal with it). Women's cars should have men's names. It's just how it works. And they should be foreign sounding and intriguing.

As I was driving back to Omaha, I passed Beaver Crossing and laughed as usual. When I was 6ish, I was going to either Lincoln or Omaha with my dad and my sister. We were in the front seat of a truck and I was in the middle. My dad and my sister were chanting off the names of the various counties denoted by numbers on license plates because my dad had lied to my sister and told her that she couldn't get her license unless she memorized them all. I interrupted their game by loudly yelling at my dad to slow down. He dutifully did so and asked why in a scared tone. "Because there's a beaver crossing in one mile, the sign just said so!" I was so worried for the defenseless beavers trying to make their way across interstate while avoiding the hulking two ton death machines hurtling at them at ungodly speed. Poor beavers.

This pains me to say because I'm such a ridiculous Husker fan: we need to get embarrassed in the rest of our games (except Colorado). This is the only way that change will come about. If we win out or improve, there will be excuses to keep Cosgrove as defensive coordinator or Steve Pedersen as AD (I'm not after Callahan's head quite yet). However, if we become the laughingstock of college football, shit will go down. It's the only thing I can hope for now because we suck shit and it's not going to get any better with the aforementioned making influential decisions.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for hanging out. Sker's comment right on par. I have officially retired from poker. I loath it with every bone in my body.

Anonymous said...

pedey's gone. wish one granted.

Kate Jenkins said...

I named the corolla Layla. Originally I was going to name the unknown new car Rosie, but this particular vehicle is too moody and demanding for such a sunny name.

The last corolla was named Corrina by my father when I was twelve.