Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Reading/Listening, Car, No Poker

Reading: Still White Noise. I've got a shade under a hundred pages left. I'll knock out fifty pages one day, and then I won't touch the book for the rest of the week. I'm still undecided. DeLillo has some amazing lines, and his dialogue is awesome, but I guess that I had certain expectations for the book that aren't being met. I think that it will take me a week or so after I finish it to truly decide if I like it or not. Hopefully I polish it off this week, but I'm not sure because I had a long day today, I have another long one tomorrow, and then I'm off Friday. Reading is low on the priority list.

Listening: Definition by Black Star. Black Star was a side project by Mos Def and Talib Kweli, and it was amazing. I've never owned it because I had a friend in high school that had it, and I always just listened to it with him. I had forgotten about it until Jeff played Definition (no link, sorry, iTunes it). This was one of those songs that I replayed dozens of times in a row. I'm still craving to hear it, but I had to stop because I just should. Check it out.

So I locked my car keys in the vault at the bank yesterday. I mean like really locked them in. We set the time lock, closed everything up, set the alarm and I reached in my pocket and had a "Fuck!" moment. I just laughed. I laugh when I'm utterly and totally fucked. When we were locked on the roof of our ridiculously tall hotel in downtown Mexico City, I laughed hysterically. At certain times, we are totally helpless. The previous two situations are examples of this. A lot of people get angry. Some get embarrassed. I laugh. Why not? Everybody else is going to laugh at it. I know I'm going to laugh at it later, and it really is the funniest in the moment, so I laugh. My keys were released from the clutches of the time lock this morning when I opened, but now I have to deal with getting the car I borrowed back to its rightful owner. Oh well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

scored world series tickets. rub it in jeff's face for me will ya'
Later.