Sunday, October 28, 2007

Halloween, Things I Love, Poker

Jeff and I went dressed as Mormons for Halloween. Well, we celebrated this weekend because we work. Jeff was worried that people wouldn't get it. Our costumes were short sleeve white dress shirts, black ties, black dress pants, backpacks, and bicycle helmets. And bibles. We were a hit. We only got yelled at twice. I was pleased overall.

While we were eating at Valentino's yesterday, I started thinking about all of the different things I love. Some of these things are: sleeping in, not waking up to an alarm clock, fans, cold pillows, French cuff shirts, comfortable shoes, women in skirts, chicken tortilla soup, oatmeal raisin cookies, dogs with sad eyes, staring at clouds, aimlessly driving around, music, fast cars, hot showers, flirtatious smiles, the Internet, poker, Budweiser, the nude female form in silhouette, chairs with ottomans, a good book, waking up next to somebody, sitting down after working/exercising hard, Breyer's rocky road ice cream, Coca-Cola Classic, 68-72 degree days, gentle breezes, champagne, DVRs, wearing sandals, and flirtatious smiles. Like I said, these are just some things I love. I intentionally left people off.

I've been playing some poker over the past couple of days. I'm back to my bread and butter HU matches and they're going well. I've still got some lingering awful luck. For instance, I couldn't beat any hand with a 9 in it yesterday. I dropped AK to A9, KQ to K9, JJ to 99, and QJ to Q9. Aside from that, I still managed to finish +1 out of like five matches. I won my first HU match today. The dude flopped a boat the first hand and a straight the second hand. On the second hand, I had A5 and the flop came A35. We raised each other and by the time I knew he had a straight, I only had 2k in chips left. I called it off knowing I was behind but getting the right odds at nearly 10:1. The turn was a glorious 5 that sealed it for me and crippled him. I rode out his last 1.5k and digested my new yummy $15. Right now I'm locked in a marathon with an R-tard that keeps hitting spiffy turn cards. I should beat him as long as the blinds don't get high enough that he starts pushing and making me make iffy calls. I also watched Matt get brutalized in the 10k Guaranteed today. He limped UTG with KK with a stack of like 18k and blinds of 2/400; 50. There were a few other limpers and a small raise, and Matt repopped it to 8k. He got two callers and saw an ugly Ad 6h 7h flop. He check folded and the other two got in with A9hh and AQo. He wants those preflop calls, he just wants them to miss their two outer. He busted when his AA got cracked by A3 calling all in on a gutshot with one card to come. Sick. Speaking of sick, I just dropped KQo to KQo. 2.17% chance of that happening. Awesome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am still living up to the giving up poker. Although, next week will be in vegas and will be hard to not join the $50 MT. Love the costume idea. wish i would have thought of it before you. by the way, is james dead, won't return/doesn't answer calls? its just wierd. talk 2u l8r.

Anonymous said...

The first paragraph of your entry would make an excellent first paragraph of a short story.