Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Reading/Listening, McDonald's, Work, Poker

Reading: White Noise by Don DeLillo. Actual links this time. I'm about one hundred pages in, and the shit hits the fan very shortly from what I understand, so I'm curious to see where things go. DeLillo has some brilliant lines in the first part of the book, none of which I'm going to look up and put here now because I have to be to work in about seven hours. I'll likely post them tomorrow.

Listening: Still Going Back to Cali by Notorious BIG. I'm not sure why this song has such power over me, but it does. Hopefully I will break from its clutches this week.

As Jeff and I were driving by a McDonald's on Monday night, I had the strange urge to yell "McDonald's makes their burgers from children!" at the line of cars in the drive-thru. I was barely able to restrain myself to the point that Jeff asked what was wrong with me. I told him. We laughed heartily.

I thought this work week was going to be easy. I was wrong. While I did have today (Tuesday) off, I work 7:15-5:30 tomorrow and 7:15-5:00 on Thursday. I close Friday and then work 8:45-1:15 on Saturday. I do have a training class from 1-4:30 on Thursday that should break things up, but I think it will suck because I'll spend the entire time trying to stay awake. I'm starting to hate the phrase "Banker's Hours" because only the boss has good hours. My "Banker's Hours" are pretty much open to close for four weekdays and then Saturday mornings. I'm willing to trade for another occupation's hours.

I haven't played any poker yet, but I'm starting to digest some things from my recent losses. Also, as lame as it sounds and as much as I hate to say it, I'm learning a lot from Poker After Dark. I'm not really going to go into too much detail, but I need to improve my betting. I used to bet pot, pot, pot for the most part, whether I was bluffing or I had it. I still like the idea because it makes it hard to determine what I had. However, I'm missing a lot of value by doing that because the bets get too big and drive hands out of the pot that would call for less. Further, if I have a bit more variation in my bet sizes, it will add one more element to my game that will confuse opponents. I want to play some matches this week and try to rebuild a roll to play the Bugsy's Tourneys with, but if I can only play one or two events next week, so be it.

No comments: