Monday, November 5, 2007

Reading/Listening, Date?, Wichita, MENSA, No Poker

Reading: True Story by Bill Maher. I've only got sixtyish pages left, so I will get it done this week. It is actually getting better, as if Maher realized halfway through the book that he was trying to hard and toned it down. Who knows. When I'm done, I'm going to do one of two things. I'm either going to read all of the different small poetry books that I have to boost my ego by blowing through three or four books in a week, or I'm going to read Galapagos and notch the fifteenth Vonnegut notch on my bookshelf. It probably depends on the weather.

Listening: Let's Rock by Smash Mouth. One of the greatest songs of all time. The chorus literally says "Fuck it, let's rock!" Like all things in life, it is over much too quickly at a breakneck 2:50, but that's the perfect reason to replay it over and over like you're deficient. If you're in a bad mood, listen to this song. If you need to drive fast, listen to this song.

Honorable Listening Mention: Ghetto Pop Life by Jemini and Dangermouse. The whole disc. Yes, I love Dangermouse and the workings of his brain. The dude sees music in odd places and makes interesting, incredible beats out of them. The CD has everything from poppy hip-hop songs to tracks with jazz elements to gangster stuff. As I always say, give it a listen even if you hate rap and hip-hop. I'd challenge anybody to listen to the entire disc without finding at least one track you enjoy, even if it's only for a ridiculous reason.

I'm pretty sure that Jamie (mysterious bartender) is jerking me around, but I really don't have anything better to do and I know that she is underestimating my tenacity. I went in on Friday, caught a ton of shit for missing Sunday, and finally got her to agree to a new ridiculous time at which we would discuss a potential dinner date; Wednesday between 4pm and 8pm. She's banking on me not coming. I could care less how it goes because this actually gives me something to do every week. I'll keep you posted.

I'm going to Wichita to visit my buddy Caleb and his wife. I was unsuccessful in securing a partner in this adventure, but Caleb and I never seem to have a hard time funding fun so it will still be enjoyable. There will be heavy drinking involved. Primarily because Caleb and I have a game. To maintain tact, I will simply say that it is always my goal when visiting Caleb's houses to, um, break them in in a specific manner. Caleb's goal is to try to ply me with enough liquor that this feat is impossible. He's undefeated so far, but not without gallant efforts on my part. I smell the winds of change...

I took my MENSA home test. I checked all of my checkable answers and they were right. I'm fairly positive that I missed three of the forty questions, but there were a slough of questions that you can't check. Overall, it wasn't that bad. I'm scared shitless to see the results, which I should be able to obtain online on the 20th. Again, I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

Kate Jenkins said...

I'm curious to know the details of this mysterious game...

bretlonder said...

Let's say it involves something that every guy does and every woman lies about doing...

Kate Jenkins said...

masturbation?