Monday, November 19, 2007

Reading/Listening, Good Day, Death, Bad Poker

Reading: I Am America (And So Can You!) by Stephen Colbert. I thought I would be done with it by now, but I gave up some break time at work to take care of crap (401K, apartment maintenance calls), so I still have about eighty pages left. I will polish it off this week and start on something else. The book is hilarious though, and I will be sad to finish it. Stephen Colbert has such a random, creative mind that you're constantly caught off guard.

Listening: Badfish by Sublime. It was a tough pick this week as I listened to several songs on repeat. Honorable mentions go out to Rompe by Daddy Yankee and The Sound of Settling by Death Cab for Cutie. There were even more, but these were songs that spent at least an hour on repeat. As for Badfish, it's one of the songs that you can't listen to and be angry. It was a perfect song to send fall packing on this last glorious day before winter weather swoops in like a giant-winged condor dragging dark, low clouds behind it.

Today was a good day. For the foreseeable future, I will be working six days a week. This means that I will only get a half day off instead of a full day. Today was one of those half days. I got off of work around 1:30pm and stopped by to visit my sister at work. After that, I came home to change before heading off to wash my car and grab some food. I ate over at Michael's and we watched part of a movie called The Red Violin. It was pretty good, but I didn't get to finish it as I had to pay my apartment complex the $2 I forgot on my rent check as well as pick up my dry cleaning. At the dry cleaner, I discovered that if I purchased a $10 bag, I would save 20% off of every visit and an additional 30% one time. The 20% amounts to about $4 every week, making this a no-brainer. After the dry cleaners, I stopped by to pay my $2. While there, I asked about any garages closer than my current one. My garage is number 61. The garage right outside of our building door is 77. My new garage as of December 4th will be 75. Oh yes, it feels good. To ice the cake, my sister called shortly thereafter and asked if I wanted her to pick me up, buy me Chinese food, and then drop me off. I said "Hells yes." That, my friends, is a good motherfucking day.

I experienced what I imagine death will be like last week when I was getting my hair cut. I go to Sportsman's Haircut. I like to pamper myself, so I get the full treatment: haircut, wash with scalp massage, hot towel on face, the works. I also get the unibrow waxed because eyebrows are one place where "less is more" does not apply. During the wash, they put you in a massage chair. When she put the hot towel on my face (it's soaked in tea tree stuff), it was pitch black. I had peppermint shampoo on my head, so my scalp and face were tingling while the rest of my body was vibrating in the pitch black. And that's what I think death will be like; a humming, vibrating, black void. I hope my scalp and face tingle.

My butthole is saggy and loose after the raping I took today. I lose four straight to CUBUFFS. If you've read previous poker posts, you'll know that he is bad. Well, calling station plus hitting everything equals Bret loses a lot. In three of the four matches, he hit a gutshot on the turn which also made me two pair. The other one I got stubborn and shoved second pair into his top pair. Oh well, I played well, I just kept getting the hammer which is going to happen. The bad decision came when I decided to play him in a $50 match with the logic "he can't keep hitting." Oh yes, he can. My bankroll is down around $90 again now, but I'm really not worried. My previous success in HU matches has changed my confidence level so that I don't have to worry about going broke anymore, unless I pull a Londer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poker went great last night. twice hit straights on the flop with like 3 people all chasing flushes and no one hitting. my over betting til scare card hits strategy worked beautifully becasue no scare cards fell. Made the mistake of over betting my pkt 7s with a flop of K2K. everyone folded to my bet and we rabit hunted the turn and river. It would have put a boat on the board, but my 7s would have dominated. Made one bad fold. Folded my straight to an all in bet with a boat possibility and flush possibility on the board. they shoed ace high. argh. Might see you at Viljoen's party next weekend. Have to get permission from the wife. Later.