Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Reading/Listening, Internet, Girl, No Poker

Reading: Sixty Stories. Still. I'm in a reading downswing right now. It happens. I'm only getting through maybe one short story a week, and then I'm distracted by various shiny things. I'll get back into it heavy probably in the first week of January.

Listening: It was split this week. I listened to both The Train off of the Idlewild soundtrack and Runnin' by the Pharcyde. Both songs are amazing. For the non-hip-hop-junkies (all of you who read this), Pharcyde is an underground group that was big in the nineties. They really pushed the boundaries of hip-hop with their odd style. This song, however, has a great overall feel to it that makes it "nearly" ageless (they say 1995 in the song). People who don't like hip-hop will like this song. As for The Train, it is perfect for those who like stoner music. There's a lot going on musically, and it blends into this awesome soundscape that I could get lost in for days. Outkast has really branched out in recent years, and songs like this are the direct result of them trying to be the best at their craft.

I haven't posted in a week because my Internet on my desktop has simply decided that it doesn't want to work anymore. I busted out the laptop which had previously been having some issues, but it seems to be working fine. I need to backup everything on it before it ignites into a fireball like it probably will. I don't want to shell out ANOTHER $40 for a different wireless card, as that is obviously the problem. With my laptop on my desk, I get excellent signal from three different connections. My desktop can't get a usable signal from anywhere. I hate technology.

Things are going smashingly with Virginia. We click. I'm going out to see her in Las Vegas in February, and hopefully she will be coming here a week or two before that. Any of you that know me should know that something is up when I go to LAS VEGAS to see a girl and NOT to gamble. I'll probably gamble while I'm there. Just a tiny bit. It's fucking Vegas. What sucks about our situation is that there are sooooo many things to worry about. Things that don't exist in an actual relationship. For instance, she is going to have to rank her favorite residency programs soon (she's going to be a surgeon, I don't know how much I've talked about her on here). I don't want to influence her in any way. I told her that today. It was awkward because I don't know if I HAVE any influence, or should have, or potentially might have. Also, we discussed my trip out to see her. I've decided to stay in a hotel room because it seems like the thing to do. In reality, we've spent three days together. We've never kissed. I don't like the idea of shacking up at her sister's house. "Hi, I'm the guy that your sister met for three days. Where do I sleep?" This conversation skirted around another awkward conversation about "intentions." She has been absolutely amazing about the whole ordeal. I think we both realize that we're walking through a minefield, and we both want to make it through, but it's still a minefield. I'm sure some of you understand. I guess I keep poking the ground with this stick because now I'm in the middle of a minefield. It's a lot more fun than you would imagine ;-). Yep, I made an emoticon. Women ruin me.

1 comment:

C.D. said...

I understand, and I hope you don't blow up and scatter into a bunch of fleshy pieces.