Sunday, December 9, 2007

Hockey, Poker

Jeff, Mike, and I met a girl named Virginia at the UNO hockey game last night. Virginia is another fourth year med student that is in town interviewing with both Creighton and UNO. Mike met her at the UNO interviews and found out that she was going to be in town until Tuesday, so we've been showing her around Omaha. It's been fun. Tomorrow night they are coming over for dinner. I will be making enchiladas. I make awesome enchiladas.

Poker has been going pretty terribly. I'm running into some awful beats again. I'm something like -3 in HU matches over the past three days, which isn't bad, but I've been playing really well and just getting bludgeoned with bad beats. An example: I just lost a match with KK vs 94o. We got all of the money in on a board of 2359, the river was a disgusting 9. I also just lost a monster pot in the rematch with my 99 vs his 92dd. I'm still fairly confident, and I haven't even had an ounce of tilt, but it just sucks that instead of building up again I have to wait out this cold streak. Cold streak is also the best way to describe the first semi final tournament yesterday. I'm not blaming my loss on it, but the structure of the tournament was horrible. People started with between 2k and 6k chips, despite the fact that we all paid the same amount to get in. I started with 2.5k and promptly ran my stack down to 900. My table was playing very nit, so I was in a lot of pots but just couldn't make anything happen. Then everything did start going right. I was quickly up to over 11k when I bought a couple of large pots and got paid off when I actually had hands. The average was somewhere near 4k and I was fourth overall in chips. I got moved to a very active table and sat out the first few hands. I got dealt Q4hh in middle position and a pot was finally unopened to me so I popped it. The button looked me up and we took an AJ7 flop with two clubs. This is a good flop for me because I'm pretty sure he's not flat calling with any ace on the button. I bet pot and he called. I put him on some sort of flush draw like a KTcc. The turn peeled a 6h and I bet pot again. He called for about half of his remaining chips and I was confused. I figured he would've pitched the draw on the turn, so now I changed my mind and decided he had some sort of bad suited ace. The river peeled a blank and we checked it down, with him winning the pot with KQcc. I was still in good shape with about 8k in chips, but then I got coolered. I limped a multi-hand pot with 95hh and then called a blind raise from a decent sized stack. The flop was a glorious 755 rainbow and I checked to set the trap. The turn peeled a 9 giving me the boat, and he led out half of his chips. I quickly moved him in and he quickly called with 77. Puke. That pot floored me to 2k and I hovered between 2k and 6k for awhile. I got lucky and hit 7 outs vs QQ with my A5hh on an 23J board, but then went bust in the following hand. I raised Q7cc in an unopened pot on the button. Both blinds called, and we took a K73 flop. I got checkraised by the SB and I called it. He had been very aggressive, so a K was out of the question, along with A7 because he would've reraised preflop. The only hand that scared me was 73, but I wasn't incredibly concerned about it. The turn was a harmless 9, and he threw out a tiny 375 bet into the 4k pot confirming that he had a 7. I flat called for value and the river was another sweet 7. He instantly moved in and I instantly called. He flipped the disgusting A7 and I'm out near midpack at like 130th. I still feel good about the whole tourney because the only mistake that I think that I made was not firing the third shell against KQcc. If I don't second guess myself there I have 15 or 16k in chips I don't look back. Oh well, next month will be better. UPDATE: I beat the dude because I had two hands actually hold up in a row.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice to see you playing well, but it just sucks that you are getting cold decked. Oh, and I hate hackers. Computer still f'd in the A.