Thursday, December 27, 2007

Sick, Wii, Poker

I'm laying in bed waiting for a doctor's office to open so I can go in, have them tell me I have streptococcus tonsillitis, and then give me a prescription for the pink liquid that tastes like bubblegum. When I was younger they gave me this horrible chalky-tasting concoction that I could only choke down with milk, but sometime around the age of fifteen they switched me to the bubblegum stuff. Thank you Dr. Rude. I hate being sick. When I'm actually sick, beyond the normal cold or flu, I'm a huge baby. Yes, I do in fact want my mommy right now. I don't know what it is. Some people turn into surly a-holes when they are sick, I'm just docile and needy and apologetic.

If it is strep (it is) and I have to stay home from work (I will), at least I have a new toy to waste time with. Yes, I somehow procured a Wii. Every store in Omaha is entirely sold out of accessories and most of the better games, but I still have my one Wiimote with Nunchuk, Wii Sports, and Mario Galaxy. Mario Galaxy makes me feel drunk. You are Mario, and you are traveling through the galaxy to try and find Princess Peach who has been kidnapped. What makes me feel drunk is that you land on these tiny little comets and planets where you run all over the 3D surface, upside down, etc. It is very disorienting. I need to acquire Wii Play so I can play Tanks. Tanks is the best game ever. If you need to know why, search for it on YouTube.

I played a $10 HU match yesterday. I had been sitting and waiting for a game for quite some time now, but I've been giving up after about a half an hour at a table with no takers. I played a guy that I've played before. He lucksacked me bad two straight times previously (he was the guy that kept making gutshots, and the gutshot card would give me two pair), thus making him think that he's a lot better than I am. The jackass said "Good luck with your last $10" before the match started, and I proceeded to destroy him. I polished him off when I got him to call AI when I had a straight. He raised preflop, and I just called with KJdd. Normally, I would reraise this hand, but it is better to play this guy postflop than to have to make hero calls preflop with hands like KJ. The flop came out AxT with one diamond, and he min bet. This is almost always a sign of strength from him, but I took one off knowing that I get paid if I spike my gutterball. I did when a Q peeled on the turn and I bet pot for around 1k. He insta-called and we took a blank of the river which left me with the stone nuts. He started the hand with about 6k, so he still had 4.5k sitting behind with a pot of just over 3k. I decided just to move in and hope that he couldn't get away from hands like AK or AJ, and really hoping that he had 2 pair because he's never folding. I'm guessing he had AJ because he took a long time to call, but his cards insta-mucked and I left without saying anything. I resisted the urge to play another match because I had someplace to be, but I really wanted to throttle him in four or five straight matches just because he deserves it. Time to call a doctor.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you lucky bastard. How the hell did you get a Wii? nice work on the gutterball. Our home game matches have been going overwhelmingly in my favor. I have tripled my money each time. Last week I started with A9 off and the flop came A93 w/ 2 diamonds. Turn blank and chasie McChaserton called my pot sized bet. Sure enough, the river peeled off a diamond, but it was the 9 of diamonds. I bet because I knew he would reraise, I then pushed all in and he called on the second hand of the afternoon. Felt kind of bad, but yet vindicated for all of the crap he's caught in the past.

Sounds like Amanda and I are going to be staying in Lincoln. Sorry I can't hang out over the holiday, but I will make it up sometime to see the new place after the first of the year. Hope you feel better.