Sunday, December 30, 2007

al-Qaeda, No Poker

al-Qaeda is currently strapping demolition charges to the foundation of their own organization. In recent days, the organization has had two very large "whoops-a-daisies." The first one is dubious, but probably likely. al-Qaeda has both been blamed by Pakistan (which I question) and has accepted responsibility for the death of Benazir Bhutto (I doubt this less). I doubted the claims by Pakistan because both the United States and Pakistan would have a vested interest in blaming al-Qaeda for such an act. The assassination has had the reverse effect as was likely anticipated. I imagine that the motivation for such a killing would be to drive Pakistan into turmoil and divide the country so that the Taliban could have an easier time making a resurgence. They did pretty good on the turmoil part, but they likely didn't plan on the unified backlash against al-Qaeda itself. The second SNAFU that they have made came in bin Laden's latest tape. They haven't actually made the mistake, but I kind of hope this one happens. bin Laden said that al-Qaeda will take the fight to Israel. Good luck. Israel stirs up mixed emotions for me. I do NOT like the unconditional support that the US gives Israel as part of some lingering anti-Muslim sentiment that is LONG past its expiration date, but Israel is a badass country. Israel has a badass, ruthless military. Go ahead bin Laden, you fight the good fight in Israel. If you do, I'm sure Israel might give their Special Forces unit a break from offing Palestinians to go walk through Pakistan for a week or two. The reason I get so much enjoyment out of this is because the cowardice of terrorism is about to run into the does-not-fuck-aroundness of Israel. This ends poorly for the terrorists. I'll link the articles tomrrow.

No comments: