Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Social Skill Apocalypse

So Chelsea, Charles, and myself frequently comment on each others' blog, yet I never really speak to them in person. I find that odd. I think we would have interesting (read also weird) conversations, and it seems that we are all fairly witty, yet I realistically have not said more than 100 words to them combined. I don't fault any of us, it is simply the convenience of the Internet. We have this fake sort of bonding (our blogs) that in reality connects us in no way at all, yet is convenient enough that we have sort of struck up a cyber-friendship. I can't help but think back to the day when I made fun of people with "Internet friends," but now I sort of have Internet friends. I'm not sure how I feel about this.

I started writing my bird story today. As I was simply jotting down the anecdotes on paper, I saw a direction that I could take with the story that I think will be neat. I think that I'm going to tell about all of the different birds I have hit in my life with cars, and then in the final section, I'm going to hit a kid. I'm going to do it subtly, although I'm not quite sure how yet, but hopefully it will work itself out as I keep writing. The scary part is that I'm like John Wayne Gacy to the avian kingdom. Thinking back to all of my different stories, I think that I have some sort of bird magnet in the front of my vehicles. I mean I've killed like two dozen of the things. I guess I should never buy a parakeet. Karmically, birds have the revenge card on me, and I don't want to take any chances.

6 comments:

C.D. said...

Do you ever wonder if birds are suicidal? One time a bird flew into the side of my car. I did not hit it; it hit me. Maybe they just have terrible perception. I'm not really sure, but I'd like to know. I guess one way to entertain this notion would be to write from the point of view of all the birds. That could be interesting.

Signed,
Your internet friend.

Jessica said...

That's a really interesting concept. You know, in all the years I've been driving I've never hit a single thing? Maybe I repel them. But I get along with animals fine. Maybe that just means I have some DNA strand in common with Ace Ventura.

C.D. said...

Perhaps we should have a real conversation one of these days.

bretlonder said...

I totally made a feeble attempt. The ball is in your court miss. Or how about tomorrow?

C.D. said...

We will be inhabiting the same room, so I suppose it's possible.

Anonymous said...

Look at the story Lust by Susan Minot in your fiction packet. It'll help you with your bird story.

Your story should be more than the plot. Again, for you, I recommend third person. It may help you with characterization.

md