Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Burnt, Interview, New Section, Poker

I'm still burnt. The discomfort should be gone in another day or two, but then the peeling begins. I hate the peeling.

I finally have my second interview with John Hancock. I have a lot of questions for them after taking the personality profile because it asked lots of questions that made me leery. Hopefully it goes well and I hear what I want to hear because I'd really hate to turn down the first job I've been offered.

Every Monday or Tuesday I'm going to be adding a new section about what I'm reading and what I'm listening to. For those of you who don't know me, I read a lot. Now that I'm out of school, I realistically should be polishing off two books a month quite easily. I say two because I don't want to set the bar too high, but it could be as high as six some months. As far as music, another note for people who don't know me: if I had a pleasure button on my brain, I would hit it constantly. Hence, when I find a song that I like, I will listen to it several times a day for a week or two. In the future, the section will be on top of the post, but for now, here are it is:

Book I'm Reading: Walt Whitman Selected Poems
Song I'm Listening To: Do You Right by 311

Poker has been bad again these past couple of days. I ran really bad against DymondBoy this morning which was a let down because I've really figured out his game. We played three matches. In the first, I had the chiplead at around 13k/7k. I was dealt 55 and raised it pot. He threw in a pot reraise which told me that he had JJ-AA. I called and we took a 467 flop. On this flop, I'm about 38% to win. He checked and I moved in. He slowrolled me like an asshole (because he's not good enough to pitch this hand) and I blanked out to put me way down. I then had three coolers laid on me where we both flopped top pair but he hit two pair with his weaker kicker or I had the weaker kicker. I am very proud of the first match because I should've gone broke on six separate occasions but managed to get away from my hand. In the second match, I was down 8k/12k when I was dealt AA. He raised and I pot reraised. He called, and we took a 678 flop. I bet pot, he moved in and I insta-called. He showed 99, reversing the odds from the first match. Of course, he peels a T on the turn to lock it up for him and we're on to the third match. In the third, I steamrolled him pretty well but really wasn't in the frame of mind for a fourth match. He would've kept playing me, but today wasn't the right day to do that. I also dropped one of the sickest matches ever first thing in the morning. I played a guy that hit EVERY river. This is not an exaggeration. From the first hand I flopped top pair and bet pot pot pot as usual. He called and hit two pair on the river. If we showed down, the river card made his hand. It was disgusting. In a fitting end, we got all in preflop with my JJ vs his A5. Flop 489, turn T, river A. Go skill! I also got tired of waiting for my cashout to go through to transfer money to Full Tilt so I bellied up to a $1/$2 NLHE table at Bugsy's. I was up to around $135 when I got wrapped up in a bad hand. I had 72cc in the BB and it folded to the button. The button had been min raising every time this happened, so I called. We took the two handed flop of AT7. I'm pretty sure I'm winning here, so I checkraised him. The turn peeled a 3 and I bet pot again. He called. The river was a J and I checked. I actually put him on something like a QJ for a gutterball or 78 for open-ended. Both would've hit to beat me. He put me in for another $50 and I painfully folded. He claimed to have had me beat the whole way, but I honestly don't believe it. I built back up to around $65 when I busted with A5. Again I was in the BB, but the person to the right of the guy in the previous pot had been raising tons of unopened pots from late position as well. We took a flop of AJ8 and I led out. He called and the turn peeled a 2. I led out again and got reraised for my last $20 or so. I have to call here, I did, the river blanked and he showed AJ. I'm not unhappy with my play, but it would really be nice to run the next $100 up to $3-400. Although it will be awhile for the next $100 cash game venture as my roll is currently at $751.17 and I'm not taking another $100 until I hit $1200 again. It probably won't happen until after I move. Have a good day.

7 comments:

C.D. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Walt Whitman and 311...what a mix.

John Hancock? Is that insurance or something? You going to be an insurance guy?

Kate Jenkins said...

I'm not deleting comments, I have a feeling it may be Ms. Dappen-- the deleted comment from my post was hers, originally.

What do you think of Whitman?

bretlonder said...

Charles:
Yes, John Hancock is life insurance. No, I'm not doing it. We went in depth into what I would be doing in my interview today and while I would be good at it, I don't want to do it. Odd feeling as I'm turning down a job that I could realistically make 6 figures after 3 years, but I would hate it.

Katie:
I'm really baffled why everybody thinks that Whitman is a pillar of poetry. Here's where Dumanis gets mad and verbally abuses me, but he doesn't really do anything special in my opinion. I don't know who his contemporaries were, so maybe he was the first to break form and write the way he does, but it seems like he just writes list poems and litanies that are fairly average. He's really into a sort of Buddhist philosophy that we are all connected to each other and the earth, but aside from that I'm sort of dutifully trying to finish it. Maybe I have a bad anthology; I linked it so you can see the exact book I'm reading. If I had to give it a grade after about 60 pages, I would say C+.

bretlonder said...

Grammar correction: In the "Katie" section, "he" in the second sentence refers to Whitman, not Dumanis. Dumanis may or may not do special things, but that particular sentence does not care.

Kate Jenkins said...

Whitman was the first to break form and write that kind of poetry-- it's why he's seen as the granddaddy of modern poetry, before him people wrote the kind of shite that Wordsworth is famous for. To me, Whitman sort of put the "I" in poetry- which I can appreciate for my own gain. He's not my favorite, but I appreciate him.

bretlonder said...

I can appreciate him for that then, and I figured as much but wasn't about to embarrass myself with this particular audience. My knowledge of poetry is very limited. Being the pioneer allows me to afford him liberties that I wouldn't give to a modern author. If any of us used repetition in the seemingly loose way that Whitman does, a certain professor might chastise us.