Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Job Fair, Fat, Whitman, Poker

I went to a job fair in Omaha with a friend today. It was totally worthless. It was put on by Monster, and their e-mail really hyped it up. "Bring at least 20 resumes!" Funny, there were only 18 companies there. There were only 3 or 4 places that I was even interested in working at, and I have an interview with one of them tomorrow. I'll be interviewing with John Hancock Financial Network. I had always thought that they were an investment firm, and they are, but they also deal with life insurance as well. I'm not sure if I'll like it, but that's what the interview is for, right?

I'm getting fat. I'm probably already there, but I prefer to say that I'm getting there. Our new apartment has a workout room in the basement of the main office, so I'm going to hit that up when I move, but until then I've started eating less. It sucks. I like food. Food is delicious. Because food is delicious, I want to keep eating it even though I'm full. This is what has made me fat. Eating less will help solve this, but until my stomach shrinks, I'm pretty much constantly hungry. I have purchased some Wheat Thins to munch on in between meals. Good luck me.

I've started reading a short book of Whitman poetry that I have had lying around for a couple of years. I'm diving into Harry Potter next, but I finished the Carver book one night after Barnes and Noble was closed and I needed something to read. I should finish it sometime this week, so I'll write more when I've read more than 10 pages.

I followed through on my plan of taking $100 to Full Tilt and trying the $.50/$1 NLHE heads-up tables. It lasted for about 15 minutes. I learned quite a bit though, so I'm not at all bothered. What I learned by both playing and watching is that I need to be aggressive, but I need to play small-pot poker. The people at that level aren't comfortable raising and reraising without big hands, so there won't be a lot of tough decisions for me to make yet, and there won't be a lot of bluffing. To make big money the next time I try those games (when I hit $1200), I'll just need to play lots of hands and take down all of the small pots while waiting for my flopped sets and straights to get paid off. I'm waiting at a $50 heads-up at Bugsy's, but I' don't have any takers and might just call it a night and play some pitch with the roommates. I'll give it 5 more minutes.

2 comments:

C.D. said...

"Tits" is up.

Unknown said...

i a,=m==== bacj on the blog. i a, ty[ioping with only my right hand and only half wat trying thud there are errotrd but that is okay con mi i just wanted to say hello, do hello!@