Monday, July 23, 2007

Balance, Work, Poker

I'm watching Saving Grace and, while I'm interested, I'm also bitter. I don't like overly religious things because I just feel like I'm being lied to. My theory is that if something is true, you don't need to convince me and keep reminding me. There's nobody holding Sunday gatherings preaching the benefits of gravity or oxygen. While it is different because we can indeed prove the existence of those things, the argument is still the same. The title for this section is Balance because I firmly believe that as a country we should require TV networks to show us both sides of every story. In response to Saving Grace, there should be some sort of anti-religious TV show. I haven't had very long to think this through so it probably doesn't make much sense, but I just feel that we don't have a chance as a society as long as there are people who are trying to coerce us into behaving differently. I stand behind free speech entirely but there are many, many gray areas.

They bought us frozen treats at work on Saturday. It was the first time I haven't hated working there in a long time because it was the first time that I felt the managers actually appreciated what we do. I always fail to understand how retail managers can't grasp the reality of their job. The realities of retail: 99% of your employees don't give a shit how the business is doing, after 6 months every employee is either underpaid or should be fired, doing just what is expected of them is the mark of a good part-time employee, and nobody really WANTS a career as a retail manager. With these things in mind, all a manager really needs to do is make sure people stay busy and that they are happy. Unhappy employees piss off customers and steal things. Happy employees actually stay busy during their shift and will actually do the things that you ask them. But what do I know, I'm only 25.

So I got my account up to $220 a couple of days ago, and have subsequently hovered there. I broke even on heads-up matches 1 day, another day, I crushed heads-up matches (going roughly 5-2) but got killed in a $2 rebuy for like $12 or more, a couple of SnGs and a small cash game. I'm +2 in heads-ups today and doing well in some small MTTs (Stud 8 and Omaha 8), so I could realistically top $300 tonight. I think I may have shifted my game plan a bit. Now, I think that once I hit $650 I'm going to chop $100 off and send it to Full Tilt and see how I do at the $.50/$1 NLHE heads-up tables. If I can maintain over there, I could realistically add about $300 a day, which would be nice. What would actually be incredibly nice is if I could pull all of this off within the next 2 weeks so I could delay getting a real job for a bit longer. I hope no family member is reading this. If they are, I really have been applying for jobs. I have the turn-down e-mails to prove it.

No comments: