Friday, July 20, 2007

Stories, Vacation, Carver, Poker

I've decided to write a collection of short stories. This all started with cross-guy by the Grand. The longer I thought about what it would be like to meet him, the more I realized that I had met some very interesting people in my life. Each story will start out the same way, but I'm wrestling with a few things. One such issue is with cross-guy. I originally wanted to write that story from his point of view, but most of the rest of the stories will be from "my" point of view. If I write that story from his PoV, I have to write at least one other story from a different PoV, which I have no ideas for at the moment. Thoughts?

I'm going on some sort of vacation soon. I don't know where, I don't know when specifically, I don't know who I'm going with. I decided last night that I need to go on a vacation. Originally, I was going to a Rage Against The Machine concert in California with a friend from work, but that is falling through. I will not give up my vacation!

I'm around 230 pages into the Carver book now, and I think I've decided that I'm simply not impressed. He's not a bad writer, but I just don't think that he is very impressive either. When I finish the individual stories, I'm left with an incomplete, cheated feeling. I can't really access any of the stories, and Carver uses scenarios to comment on the human condition that just don't speak to me. Maybe I'm missing something.

The poker section today is small because I haven't played any poker for the past couple of days. It is likely good for me, but my degeneracy is really pressing me to play non-stop for like 3 days.

No comments: