Saturday, July 28, 2007

Broke, Packing, Poker

I'm incredibly broke right now. I will be eating lots of ramen noodles and dollar menu items over the next couple of weeks. I despise not having money at all. Hopefully I hear back from Bank of the West on Monday or Tuesday because if not, it's crap job time again. Speaking of crap job, I have to work what will likely be my last shift in a couple of hours, and I'm actually sort of excited to work. Obviously I need the money, but I can see the finish line now as well.

I actually don't have to pack anything because I never really moved in. Most of my things are still in boxes. The only stuff I really have to pack are my clothes and my movies. I think I'm going to try and get everything in one run by just renting a U-Haul. It will beat driving my truck back and forth eight thousand times.

Yesterday was the dumbest day of poker for awhile. I played ridiculously well and nothing that I did worked out. I was seeing everything incredibly well and making hero call after hero call and getting drilled for it. I don't know how many times I made all-in calls on the flop or turn with bottom or middle pair and was right every time. However, flush draws and straight draws crushed my face. I think I played 7 matches and ended up 4-3. It was nice because I ended up topping $400 for the first time. It still somewhat feels like a loss though because I realistically should have gone 5-2 or even 6-1. I also did a rough calculation of my heads-up winning percentage. Over the last month, I'm sitting at around 58% in about 120 matches. If you chop off a bad run I had at the beginning of the month I'm at close to 65%, which is really good. In the $20 and $30 matches I'm probably close to 70-75% because I peeled off like 6-7 wins in a row. Hopefully I can be +2 before I go to work.

3 comments:

bretlonder said...

UPDATE: Instead of +2, I'm -2. I played this disgusting asshole that had to live outside the US because his English was terrible. He was stupid aggressive, and I loosened up more than I normally do, but spent most of my time down in both matches. The first match he called my all-in reraise of 5k into an 8k pot with 7s7d. I had Qd7c. I moved in on a flop of KdJdTd. I was 61% to win even if he calls, and I'm not sure how he does. If I'm paired with a flush draw, he's like 12% to win and I still have big redraws. If I already have a flush he's screwed. I blanked, next game. I'm at 7k and get dealt 88. He calls the all-in with 77 and hit his 2 outer. Gross.

Anonymous said...

played last night and was down most of the night. not from bad play, just had to fold some hands I didn't like with what the board was showing. I told you how the last couple of hands are fireworks shows because it is a race to see who ends up on top and who can win back what they are down. Got dealt 66 and raised it to $.50. Got reraised to $1.25, two more called that and so I was getting something like almost 6 to one on my pkt pair. flop comes a 689 rainbow. the reraiser was bb and so he made his continuation bet of $1.00. both other guys called and I am forced to remember the dual flopped set I got railed with last time you played with us. I just called and the turn came 9. I have the fourth nuts and am pretty confident with my hand since one of the players is sir chase-a-lot and was looking for his straight. River peels of a ten. Yahtzee right? Goes check, check, Bet $.50 from chase-a-lot, so I reraise to $2.25. Fold, fold and rerais all in. There is no way I am beat right? I go back to what you said about having a defeatest attitude. At no point did he raise the entire hand so I put him on catching his straight. He calls and with confidence flips over his QJ. Thank you calls Mcgee. Later man.

bretlonder said...

General rule: You can't ALWAYS be beat. When you have like 3rd nuts on a on "not-likely-to-have-nuts board," you have to go with it.