Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Book, Brushing Teeth, Poker

I finished Stranger Than Fiction today. The last several stories are really about how Fight Club changed Chuck's life. It must have been a weird time for him, because his greatest success to date came at the same time as the horrible tragedy of his father's murder. I mean, literally at the same time. The movie was in pre-screening when his father's body was found. I don't know how I would react if one of my happiest moments and one of my worst moments were mashed together in the same month. I'm not going to think about it.

James griped at me today. When I brush my teeth, I don't do it in the bathroom. I kind of wander. I'm also typically in my underwear only because I have just gotten out of the shower. Apparently this bothers him. He hasn't told me so before. I don't know why I walk around when I brush my teeth, but I just don't like standing in front of the mirror. If you ever notice, we kind of look like idiots when we brush our teeth.

I played poker until around 9am this morning. Probably around 14 total hours yesterday. I'm still sort of baffled. I played my first $10 heads-up matches and crushed. I went 4-1 in my first five, and that was only because I took several brutal beats in one match and couldn't outpace the luckbox. I had him down to around 7k in chips when we both got all-in on a flop of 984 with 1 club. I had 98, he had 96cc. The board came miraculous running clubs to shortstack me. I again got him down to around 7k when I flopped a straight with 46o on a board of 357. I bet, he called. The turn peeled a 9 and he moved in over my bet. I'm pot committed at this point, but I paused because I thought "There's no way he has 86." He did. I got back up to 8k when I got in against his flush draw on the turn, and since I'm telling the story you know how it ends. I did play like garbage in 2 matches this morning around 8ish and lost both of them. I played way too weak-tight and the guy just abused me. That was my cue that I was done for the day. I was still +1 in heads-ups and had taken in another $15ish from Omaha Hi/Lo, so combined with a few SnG and MTT losses, I ended the day around +$20 at $139.50. My next plateau is at $220, so hopefully I will hit that by Friday. When I hit that, I can bump up my heads-up matches and jump in a few $5 and $10 MTTs. I'm still not playing my A game right now, but I'm refreshed because I'm out of the rut I was in a week or two ago.

No comments: