Sunday, July 15, 2007

Best Buy, Best Friend, Best Poker?

So I've never been more sure that I'm quitting Best Buy in the very near future. Saturday morning we had a store meeting, and during the meeting we had individual department meetings. During our department meeting, one of our manages told us, in essence, that if we simply did what was required of us and nothing more that we would be fired. Wow. Everybody should read The Jungle by Upton Sinclair because things just never really changed. I wanted to say something to him, but all I could come up with was "Who the fuck do you think you are," so I just kept my mouth shut.

Last night I hung out with my best friend from high school. We lost touch in college, and I really haven't talked to him for probably 4-5 years. It was neat to see him. He's changed in many ways, yet he hasn't really changed at all. What I mean is, he's still the same person, just a different version of the same person with new interests and activities. I've probably gone through the same transformation. We only hung out and talked for around 2 hours, but we decided we need to hang out a few more times before he heads back to law school in a month. We'll see how it works out because we're both good at making plans and bad at following through.

I rolled it up a few days ago in heads-up matches. I played the same guy that kept out-lucking me and strapped on the patience. I smoked him 3 matches in a row, and then picked off a few other unsuspecting chumps as well. Following that rush, I played some $.02/$.05 NLHE and scooped $13, ending my day at $198. The next day, I played 5 $15 heads-up matches and went 2-3. I played the same guy, and while he's a decent player, he ran super hot. The first match he picked me off pretty easy because I was trying to figure him out but not catching cards. I won the second match in 4 hands when he shoved KJo preflop over my raise and I made the hero call with 55. Flopped a set, turned a boat, game over. The 3rd match was a ball-buster. I ran up to around 12k in chips and then got KK. I raised pot, he reraised pot, and I decided to trap. Flop came T52 rainbow, which was brilliant. I bet pot, he calls. Turn J, I bet pot, he calls, leaving himself around 3k behind and making an 8k pot. The river peels off a blank, something like a 4, and I think for a long time because I actually think the J made him 2 pair, but I put him in anyway. He calls showing a disgusting T5 for a flopped 2 pair. I grind back up to near even at around 8k when I flop bottom 2 on a J94 flop. I bet pot, he raised pot and I knew he had a J, so I just shoved. He beat me in the pot with J6o and the turn was the sickening 6. No river justice, and I'm down a match. I handled him again in the next match getting him to shove A-high into my flopped trips, and in the final match he boned me again. I put in a 3rd raise preflop with KTo and he called with Q9. Flop KJ9, and I bet pot, which was about half of my stack at this point. He calls, and the turn is a 9. He pushes in, and I go into the tank. He's likely to have a 9 here, but he could also a bad K, a bad J, or just A-high, so I call with a few seconds left on the clock and he shows Q9. Gross. I'm still at $180, so hopefully I peel off a few $15 matches and squeeze into the $20 by Tuesday when I head to Kearney. I'd like to finish next week at $400 so that I can be playing $50 heads-ups within 2 weeks. Go me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

kearney on tuesday, ring me up and we can go out or something (golf,drink, or cards at the office). later,
the one and only schroeds

bretlonder said...

I can't, I'm going to help with my parents' auction which won't get over until around 11 or 12 at night.