Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Carver, Megan, Poker/WSOP

I'm about 110ish pages into the Carver book and I'm still unsure how I feel about it. It has been unpredictable as there have been a couple of stories that I've read that I formed an ending for in my head that was vastly different than the actual ending. One annoying thing that I've discovered is Carver's use of repetition. I absolutely love repetition when I feel that it is used right, but Carver seemingly repeats things because he never had an editor. His dialogue tags get annoying as he'll dump three of them in the same paragraph even though there has been no change in speaker. I've still got around 400 pages left, so it is too early to say if the annoying things will be outweighed by the positives, but I honestly don't pick up the book with enthusiasm right now. I'll probably chunk off a hundred pages or so when I head to Kearney later today as there isn't much to do there. I'm only going to be there until around noon tomorrow, but I'll still be bored.

Megan started blogging again after a two month hiatus. If she keeps it up, she'll be reinstated in the blog link list. She has apparently moved, so pop over to her blog to see what she's up to.

I haven't played much poker over the last couple of days. I worked a split shift on Saturday and slept in between, so I only played 3 $15 matches going 1-2. I didn't play at all on Sunday despite a day off, nor did I get a match in yesterday, so I've been sitting here since 5:45am trying to get as many matches in as I can before I have to go run some errands and head to K-town. So far this morning I'm 2-1, leaving me at around $194 dollars. I seem to stall on the bubble of the next level, which is a part of my game that I need to examine. I would imagine that I just get a bit too impatient and want to jump into the next level, but I need to try and figure it out. More interesting to me right now is the World Series of Poker Main Event, which will finish today. For those of you who don't know much about it, the tournament is the largest in the world. This year, a shade over 6,300 people entered it making the first prize $8.25 million. 5 of the 9 people at the final table will become millionaires. The cliche surrounding the main event is that "a pro will never win it again," but I have a problem with that statement. Most of the guys at this year's final table can be considered pros. I think only 3 of the 9 actually have other jobs at all, and only 2 of them do not consider themselves pros. However, 1 dude that doesn't consider himself a pro plays in a majority of the major tourneys and has around $500k in tournament winnings, as well as a WSOP bracelet (meaning he's won a smaller tournament in the series). The only "pro" at the final table is Lee Watkinson. Why I throw quotes on pro is because he is the only person that most people would consider to be a pro at that table because he's the only one they've ever heard of. What I've noticed over the last couple of years is that even though most of the people aren't household names in the poker community, they still make their living playing poker. That's pretty much my definition of pro. Thus ends my rant.

No comments: