Thursday, July 5, 2007

Fishing, 4th of July, Poker

I'm not sure how I always get into situations like this, but here is my new fishing trip story. A friend from work invited me (I invited myself) to go fishing with him, and so James and myself went with him to this place that is out in the middle of nowhere. I mean really out in the middle of nowhere. The drive there involves using a couple of the roads that railroad workers use to drive alongside the tracks to do whatever it is they do, and the fishing spot is underneath a railroad bridge. We climbed down to the river, fished until around 11pm, and then climbed back up to the truck. We sat on the tailgate and shot the breeze for a little bit and then we decided it was time to head home. Only we were locked out. I laughed hysterically because I realized how totally and thoroughly fucked we really were. No point in getting mad because then I would just be stranded and mad. What had us really screwed was that there were maybe 2 people on the planet that knew how to get to where we were. Fortunately, we coordinated a glorious rescue with 1 of the 2 people and Matt who took a spare key to them before they made the hour plus drive to get us. We ended up getting home very early in the AM. Another amusing part to me is that I always have this little piece of me that thinks that people who hear some of my stories think that they are totally made up, and each person that I have along with me during one of my debacles is another source of verification. Vanity, definitely my favorite sin.

Today James and I lazed around the house until probably 8:30pm. We both said that we didn't want to do anything for the 4th, but we did this last year too. We ended up driving to Waverly and dropping around $100 combined on fireworks. We then came back and blew them all up with our friend Bauer. I'm not the dangerous kind of pyro I don't think, but I really love fire and blowing stuff up. There's just something fascinating about a flame that draws men into it and tries really hard to hold on to them. I can honestly say that I understand moths. Fire gets a bad rap, though. For all of its destruction, it is a necessary part of life. Fire can keep us warm, and fire cleanses things. If there weren't forest fires, forests would choke themselves to death with vegetation and rot. An old house burns down and a new one is built. Fire makes energy for our homes, runs big factories, powers our cars. No wonder ancient civilizations worshipped fire. I'm glad we have a holiday for it.

Poker has been dismal. I've been playing really terribly and I'm still not sure why. I was down $30 the other day playing nothing but heads-up matches, which means I was -6 matches, which is awful. You need to win 6/10 to break even because of the rake, and I have the ability to win 7 or 8 of 10, but I'm just off of my game right now. The weird part is that my MTT game is on right now. I'm guessing it's because I'm too LAG in my heads-ups, but the LAG play in the deepstack tourneys is allowing me to mass chips early and then increase my aggressiveness, further growing my stacks. I've played about 8 MTTs in the past couple of days, and I've moneyed in 4, bubbled in 2, got everything in with the best hand in 1 and got sucked out on, and 1 I just left in the middle of because it was only $1 and I was hungry. 2 of my money finishes were 1sts. Hopefully I can sort out my issues in heads-up and continue to find success in MTTs.

No comments: