Monday, July 2, 2007

Travis Davis, Poker

My good friend Travis Davis was injured in a car wreck on the 1st. Travis was goofing around in the passenger seat and hanging out the window when the driver lost control and the car rolled. Travis was ejected, and is in critical condition at BryanLGH West. I don't know anything aside from what I read on the Lincoln Journal Star website. I want to go see him at the hospital, but I really can't go in hospitals. I don't really know why. I can go if it isn't for something important or significant, like when I had to take my mom in for her kidney stone. When somebody I know is ill or injured, I just can't go. I think part of it is that if something bad does happen, I don't want to remember them in the hospital connected to tubes and machines. From the reactions of others, Travis isn't in terrible shape and should be fine, but I stress this is just my interpretation of news stories and Facebook messages, so it is by no means legitimate. My thoughts and prayers are with Travis and his family, and I wish him a total and speedy recovery.

I feel weird talking poker now, but I have to do it for myself. I had a rough run yesterday in heads-up matches, and was pretty down on myself. After I posted, I signed up for a $1 7-Stud Hi/Lo MTT. There were only like 23 entrants, so I felt pretty confident as I'm a good stud split player. I started out super rough. I quickly ran my 2500 starting stack to over 5000, but then ran into rolled 3's with AA in the can. That put me down to around 3k again, and again I ran it up over 5k. Then the same person with the rolled 3's caught a boat on 6th to crush my AAKK, putting me back below 3k. When I lose a sick hand like that, I simply type "sick" into the chat window. There's no judgment, and I don't say anything else about it unless people bitch at me, which they unfortunately usually do. This particular a-hole kept telling me how bad I was and how they couldn't wait to bust me. To avoid going nuclear, I just muted them and buckled down, because by that time I was under 1k in chips and in deep trouble. I scooped the next 3 pots I played, and was up over 6k again when we hit the final table. From there I just cruised. With 5 people left, I had A2467 of diamonds on 5th and scooped a 3 handed pot which all but sealed it for me. Needless to say I outlasted the jackass, and I'm proud that I didn't say a word when he busted out. When it was down to 2, I took it down in 4 hands for $10.50 first prize money. I can now retire. When this was wrapping up, I joined a $1 NLHE MTT with 24 others. I played super LAG, playing probably 30% of the hands I was dealt and rode the subsequent chip roller coaster to the chip lead with about 15 people left. I was also making sick reads, which I don't always do well online. One such read was a super-aggro retard overraised in 1st position. I called with T4ss, and we took a J84 flop heads-up. He instantly bet out pot, and I put him on a hand somewhere from 33-AK, meaning that I was ahead. I called, and the turn peeled another J. He fired pot again, leaving himself about 4k behind with about 10k in the pot and blinds at 1/200. I thought for a few seconds, decided I was good, and moved in. He insta-called with 22, river blank, and I scoop a sick pot with bottom pair. I had a huge chip lead with 8 left, proceeded to blow all but 10k of it playing aggressively, and then went on an all-in rampage with blinds at 500/1k, 100. I scooped about another 10k without playing a pot, and then doubled up with KK vs QJ. With 4 left I regained the chip lead and took it down with minimal drama. Another $12.50, and I had more than erased the heads-up losses for the day. I've played a couple matches today and am 2/3, leaving my roll at $94. I've said it like five days straight, but it would be cool to get to $110 to play some $10 matches.

1 comment:

Kate Jenkins said...

Thanks for the update...it's hard to get info at work (stupid firewall shit)